Saying Goodbye to the Roos & How to Move Them

SproutGirl

Songster
11 Years
Apr 3, 2008
Missoula, Montana
Well, it turn out, at least here, that the words "straight run" are code for "bunch of boys" because 3 of my 4 Araucanas are crowing, and I still suspect the last little runt will begin his song soon. I enjoy the crowing, and the neighbors on both side of my say that they do too. The trouble is, it is illegal to have roosters in this town, I work for the City prosecutor, and it looks like my boy to girl ratio is 4 to 2 right now. Anyway, so far I've found good homes for two of the boys on 2 seerate little farms where there used to be one male who has passed on and the farmers are now looking for a new rooster. One is a non-profit organic farm that teaches university students & young children about farms and donates the food to the needy, and the other is a little organic home operation run by a chef who promises not to make my little bird into his dinner! Anyway, one of them happens to be several hours away, and I am wondering how to safely transport my chicken there. I have a good sized cat kennel that he would fit in, but I don't know if that would be the best way to do it. We really don't have any equipment for the movement of animals. Also, does anyone have any ideas about allowing access to food and water during the journey? Thanks! I am sad to say goodbye, but am glad to have found 2 good homes so far.

I'm going through a similar dilemma right now and I think that a cat kennel is a great idea. If it doesn't have a water holder on the side, then you could put a water dish inside and then stop every so often on your trip to make sure that the water isn't spilled.

Another option is a dog crate or dog carrier. I know that dog carrier have little water dishes...but the truth is that they are very small and probably spill a lot.

IF the trip is only 2 or 3 hours then I don't think lack of food is an issue.

As far as the food/water issue...you could put a few grapes or a couple slices of apple or melon or tomato or cucumber, if you have anything like that on hand.

Dawn

cat carriers are great for transporting - that's how I take mine to the vet. They usually do fine without the food and water just make sure that they get some when they arrive at their destination. When I move I pack them all in a large cardboard box with air holes and they stay calm and quiet until we arrive.

Thank you. Fresh fruits and veggies, that's a good idea. Maybe some sprouts, and they really do love fresh corn and tomatoes. I sure will miss those roos. If only I had a house in the country. I keep telling my boss, the city prosecutor, that not allowing roosters in the city is clearly gender discrimination and that PETA and the ACLU are surely going to decend upon our town with choppers full of protesting roosters soon if we can't get the law changed!

[that the words "straight run" are code for "bunch of boys" ]

lau.gif
lau.gif
lau.gif

ROTFL...with tears in my eyes..

Last edited by a moderator:
If you have ac in the car and it's warm outside - turn the ac off. The fast temperature switch can kill a chick when you take it out of the car a again. It's better to open a window. Warm draft is less harmful than ac.

Back
Top Bottom