rosemarythyme

Scarborough Fair
7 Years
Jul 3, 2016
WA, Pac NW
My Coop
My Coop
Just saying hi from the Pacific NW.

I've had pet birds on and off since I was little but this is my first time raising chickens. I've wanted them for years but only just recently moved to a rural area so that I could finally make it happen.

I've been visiting this forum for months to educate and prepare myself for my first flock, and finally decided to sign up since I don't doubt I'll have many questions now and in the future.

My little starter flock currently has four 7-week-old chicks:
1. Bubbles the Buff Orpington. She's the biggest but always calm. Often underfoot, hopping up and down for mealworms.
2. Buttercup the Buckeye. She acts like a boy, strutting around and chest bumping the others. It worried me so much that I had to have her DNA tested to confirm that she's a girl!
3. Bunny Pom-Pom the Welsummer. We've only had her a couple of days but she's already been tamed by the power of mealworms. She honks like a goose when you pet her.
4. Bumblebee the Easter Egger. Also a new addition, she was wrongly identified as a Sicilian Buttercup at the feed store, but I knew folks on this forum would know better. I can't help but worry that she's a boy since EEs aren't the easiest to sex but so far she hasn't done anything boyish, so here's hoping!

It was $25 from a company called AvianBiotech. If I had a lot of birds it would be too expensive to do that regularly, but for one or two birds I thought it was worth knowing for sure.

Yeah, that's a little steep for me when you can just wait until they tell you "cock-a-doodle-doo." But I can see how it would be great for someone who can't have roosters and really wants to know before they get attached to their chicks.

Next time you may want to give our experts a first crack at them - just post photos at "what breed or gender is this." No charge.

I'd read that Buckeyes are difficult to sex (and we'd just gone through having to cull a Welsummer roo) so my hubby really wanted proof that our Buckeye was a girl especially with how she acts. He was very happy to see the post-it on the garage door saying "It's a girl!"

The expert eyes on this site have already helped me identify my mislabeled Easter Egger (and so far it no one said it looks like a boy), so I'm already grateful for that.

Hi and
welcome-byc.gif
Thanks for joining us!

Back
Top Bottom