Saying Hi!! from Indianapolis

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by RichH, Nov 24, 2015.

1. RichH

RichH New Egg

Nov 24, 2015
    Indianapolis
    Just wanted to stop in and say Hi. Right now, my wife and I are looking to move out of our neighborhood and into a house with at least a 1/2 acre of land so that we can start our own garden and food supply. For the time being, I came here looking for information on how to raise chickens for when we do move out.

I am also in need of around five white or brown egg laying chickens as Christmas Gifts for my sister and brother in laws. I have already obtained permission from their parents and they previously raised ducks. I'm just not sure where to find a place that would have around five hens in time for Christmas. Any help would be appreciated.

2. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

3. N F C

N F C dem crazy bones Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
  4. Caleb999

Caleb999 Chillin' With My Peeps

Welcome to BYC. I'm sure any questions you may have will be answered here!

5. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. Definitely post on the Indiana link that NorthFlChick left with you. If you haven't done so already, definitely check out our Learning Center at https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center. There is lots of useful information there. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck in finding your hens.

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Glad you joined us at Backyard chickens. Hope you can find the hens you are seeking.

7. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! So you are looking for coop ready/already laying birds for the gifts or are you wanting to obtain chicks of white and brown laying breeds for them to raise?

8. RichH

RichH New Egg

Nov 24, 2015
    Indianapolis
    I'm looking for chicks of white or brown laying breeds for them to raise.

9. daskhan

daskhan Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2015
    Indiana
    Hello I'm one of the members on the Indiana thread that was posted above.. There are a couple of use that have chicks ATM is there any certain breed your interested in? Are you fully equipped to raise chicks? (Have brooder set up in temperature controlled area where preditors can't get to the?) and how far are you willing to travel and what's your price range? If you want hens only age is a requirement or auto sexing I probably can help with all where are you located?

10. RichH

RichH New Egg

Nov 24, 2015
    Indianapolis
    Daskhan.
    We are willing to travel throughout Indiana. We aren't set on an exact breed. We mainly want 4 or 5 hens that will be egg layers and are trying to avoid getting a male. We have a small setup right now that will be free from predators and will be gifting this set of chickens to my in-laws and their children. We are actually getting ready to leave and check out some chicks at 2pm and have read up on sexing them. If for some reason this doesn't work out, we would be willing to meet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by