Scab in vent (Picture included)

lucas3301

Hatching
Aug 8, 2023
Hello everyone,
Three days ago, I noticed that one of my chickens, Lulu, was acting lethargic. She wasn't eating or drinking and had been sitting in the same spot. I also noticed that she had blood coming out of her vent.
Since I'm relatively new to raising chickens, I did some online research and thought she might be egg-bound, as she seemed to be experiencing contractions and her bottom looked swollen.
Despite trying to feel for an egg, I couldn't detect anything. However, her vent appeared severely infected and even seemed to have prolapsed.
In an attempt to help her, I gave Lulu a 20 minute warm bath with Epsom salt. Afterwards, I tried to gently clean her vent, but there was a hard black scab. Uncertain whether to touch it or not, I carefully cleaned it. Her vent went back inside after a while, but an hour later, it prolapsed again. Although the bleeding had stopped, it was still releasing a yellowish liquid.
I left it alone for a day and checked on her this morning. I repeated the same procedure as before and also applied some Canesten cream.

[WARNING: GRAPHIC PICTURE]

The attached picture displays the current condition of her vent (I couldn't reposition it back inside).
I'm writing this post to ask if anyone has experience with this issue and could provide insight into what might be causing it. I'm also curious if the steps I'm taking are correct or if there's a more effective method.
she seems to be feeling better, she's been walking around, making more noise (she was pretty quiet in the first day), and she doesn't look as exhausted as she was. I feel like I'm going in the right path, but I want to play safe and ask for some outside help.

Thank you in advance for any assistance, I just want my girl to recover.

Attachments

• IMG_20230808_115802.jpg
    IMG_20230808_115802.jpg
    394.1 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
That is still a prolapse, and it has scabbed over. I would give a daily Epsom salts or soapy water soak just to her vent area to soften it, and then gently rub a little each time. Dry, and then keep the prolapse coated in vaseline or a mild oil. It may take a few days for the scab to come off and for the cloaca to stay in. It can take a week or so sometimes. Keep her separated in a dog crate with food and water, so the others don’t peck her vent.

That is still a prolapse, and it has scabbed over. I would give a daily Epsom salts or soapy water soak just to her vent area to soften it, and then gently rub a little each time. Dry, and then keep the prolapse coated in vaseline or a mild oil. It may take a few days for the scab to come off and for the cloaca to stay in. It can take a week or so sometimes. Keep her separated in a dog crate with food and water, so the others don’t peck her vent.
Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom