scab on the face??

chichek

In the Brooder
6 Years
Sep 4, 2013
One of my chicks (a month or two) had a little shall I say scratch on the upper part of the top beak as attatcjed in the photo! I'm really worried and not sure what it is, it looks like its grown.. I thought it would heal when I first saw it but it looks a bit bigger.. Any idea?? Or solutions would be greatly appreciated

These types of lesions seem to be fairly common if you do a search here on BYC for "scab on beak." Some eventually fall off and heal. Many are thought to be from constantly injuring the beak on a sharp waterer or feeder, or perhaps a fence. I would probably look all around the coop and run for any such items that could be causing damage. I would keep a close eye on it, and keep researching the cause.

It looks like a beak injury--those arerelatively common among chickens; theyjust happen to rub themselves against wire, rocks, plastic, etc.I have an Easter Egger that once had a a really large lesion like that on her beak that lasted for at least a month (apparently, it takes a while for injuries like that to heal). But after a while, layers of the beak grew over the wound and she was fine again. And just recently, one of my White Wyandotte Bantam hens got a scratch on her beak that turned into a lump with a scab. That lasted a week before it finally healed. With both birds, I never found out how they injured their beak, but they were fine. As long as the injury to your bird's beak doesn't seem to get any worse (if it does, I'd isolate the bird in a hazard-free area), the beak should heal in time. If you want, you could put some antibiotic ointment (nothing that contains caine/cain ingredients, as those are harmful to chickens) on the wound, just to be safe.

Last edited:
thanks, I think its exactly what you described, I noticed this morning that the scab on (what im assuming at the momentto be a he) started to go and get better, anyaways thanks for the reply, it really put me at ease

Back
Top Bottom