Scabby hen

bekachick

Chirping
5 Years
Sep 7, 2017
Our chicken Pumpkin is around 4 years old. I noticed the other day a sore with blood on one of her earlobes...figured she must have been pecked at or just scratched it. The next day I noticed the other earlobe was also affected, which got me suspicious that something was wrong. Asking on a local Facebook chicken group didn’t get any replies. I looked at her belly and she has sores on there too, poor girl! What could this be?
There are no signs of lice or mites. Her wattle looks dry too. We have lots of mosquitoes here at the moment...perhaps she is sensitive to them?
Thank you!
B3548A72-F45E-400F-82AD-E65F608BAE50.jpeg
AEE23E5B-275D-4959-9B7D-42E1F00641E1.jpeg
065EDB72-0E21-44D7-9EDB-5AEC2ADED8D2.jpeg
F5422C95-F015-4598-8523-399016F941FD.jpeg

Poor gal, I don’t know what this is, I hope somebody who knows more than me sees this thread. In the meantime you could rub antibiotic ointment on there just to help moisten her skin and in case she has an infection. I had a drake who got dry, sore spots around his eyes from his brother picking on him and antibiotic ointment helped tremendously.

Looks a bit like fowl pox (very mild version)....and you said mosquitoes are around, then fowl pox is probably the illness. My Tango had it, a lot worse though. The thing is, it get's better before it gets worse. We took Tango to the vet and they gave us Ilium Opticin, which is a cream. Tango got better within a few days. Maybe ask your vet if they have this treatment, or check your local hardware store. If both of those don't have it, check online or look for alternates. Attached pics.
Tango (serious case of fowl pox) :(
WIN_20200515_10_27_12_Pro.jpg

The treatment :)
med.PNG

Hope this helps, and all goes well! :) :) :)
Laura :D

Back
Top Bottom