Scabby sore/lump and red flakey skin on my chickens belly (photo)

Courtney Jane

Chirping
Nov 13, 2018
Perth Western Australia
I noticed this scabby lump on my chickens belly almost in the area between her legs. Any ideas on what it could be? The skin between her legs is all red and flaky as well. Had a quick google but couldn’t find anything? Anyone got any ideas? she’s a year and a half old. Acting completely fine. Bit of redness on her feet and legs as well which has been going on for a while but it’s not too noticeable. Not sure if it’s related or not. No other symptoms. If I didn’t pick her up I wouldn’t have noticed anything was wrong. Thanks in advance :)

Attachments

• 97F477C1-44E1-4046-84D6-1824B6EB9BBD.jpeg
    97F477C1-44E1-4046-84D6-1824B6EB9BBD.jpeg
    354.3 KB · Views: 14
That could be from pecking. I would put some ointment on it to discourage pecking, but also look her over for any lice or mites running around on her skin under the vent and belly. You can post pictures of her legs as well. Some redness may be a sign of healthy fertility and vigor, but it depends on leg color. Leg mites can cause raised scales. Are you using pine shavings as bedding?

Feather picking or pecking can be a result of being overcrowded, too little protein, or boredom from not getting out to free range.

Oh you mean her pecking herself from boredom? Maybe, they do have a good sized run and I do let them out to proper free range but not as often as I used to as they do make quite a mess! I was worried it was something more serious like cancer or something. I shall try some ointment, thank you :) I did a quick check for mites and she seemed fine but will do a thorough look tomorrow as well as take photos of the legs. I have had an issue with scaly leg mites in the past and suspected they may have returned so that could be what’s going on with the legs actually. Thank you for your response :) I don’t use pine shavings, just alternate between shredded paper from work as well as straw

It could be a breast blister. That is like bumblefoot but on the breast. Happens when they lay down rather than roost, or rest on the roost and rub and put pressure on that area. Some heavy birds do it, and birds with leg or foot issues will do it. If it's a breast blister then it will need to be cleaned out, same as bumblefoot, and ointment applied. If there is a foot or leg issue then resolving that may stop the resting on the spot. If it's a heavy bird that does it habitually, then padding the roost with something that can't be pecked and eaten can help. Some thin, dense foam with an old towel or other heavier fabric over it works.
This post shows a pretty bad breast blister, I've treated smaller ones that only required topical treatments:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...ister-graphic-pictures.1096276/#post-16850510

It could be a breast blister. That is like bumblefoot but on the breast. Happens when they lay down rather than roost, or rest on the roost and rub and put pressure on that area. Some heavy birds do it, and birds with leg or foot issues will do it. If it's a breast blister then it will need to be cleaned out, same as bumblefoot, and ointment applied. If there is a foot or leg issue then resolving that may stop the resting on the spot. If it's a heavy bird that does it habitually, then padding the roost with something that can't be pecked and eaten can help. Some thin, dense foam with an old towel or other heavier fabric over it works.
This post shows a pretty bad breast blister, I've treated smaller ones that only required topical treatments:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...ister-graphic-pictures.1096276/#post-16850510

Ah thanks! this is a possibility. My chickens do tend to sleep in the nesting box rather than the perches. Usually 2 perching and 1 in the nesting box but they alternate. I don’t know much about bumble blisters. Is this something I can do at home? What if I just use antiseptic every day will that do anything to help?

Isn’t this scab on the lower belly between the legs, or on the keel (breastbone?)

Yeah it’s definitely closer to inbetween the legs. I’ve just applied some antiseptic so I might do that for a week or so and monitor it to see if it gets better or worse. Here’s a picture of her leg where you can see a bit of redness between the toes.

Attachments

• CBA1E770-CE74-4734-A18B-6AF3EE4E955F.jpeg
    CBA1E770-CE74-4734-A18B-6AF3EE4E955F.jpeg
    665.3 KB · Views: 4

Back
Top Bottom