Scabies Mites

I have them too, having nothing to do with my chickens. I found this article trying to figure out if I can transmit scabies to my chickens. Here is my question: Did you guys clean your linens first and then use the prescription cream or did you use your cream then clean the linens? I am going to use the cream tonight. I don't know if I should do my linens while the cream is doing its thing or what. Hope my question makes sense.

I too am having some issues... I have been feeling like something is biting me the last week but I can't see anything. The plums of my hands have been itching however I see no bites. I've been out at the coop a lot lately hand just changed all the bedding in the nests last week (bare handed
1f615.png
) maybe that wasn't the best idea but I didnt think Anything of it. My girl have good production and no noticeable issue but maybe they do have notes and are giving them to me
1f629.png
I use DE but is that enough if there's already an infestation? I don't really want to have to throw out eggs from using chemicals

You only need to throw eggs away if you give internal treatments such as antibiotics or some wormers. External treatments such as dusting powders don't have any effect on the eggs, so you can carry on eating them.

I use a pyrethrin based dust to treat lice and mites in the bedding, as well as directly on my birds. I also add it to their dust bath, so that they treat themselves with it. There are actually two varieties available here in France - one which is specifically for bedding, and one which is for dusting the birds with. I am not certain what the difference is, but to be on the safe side I buy the two and follow the instructions.

I have just had a broody hen with a severe lice / red mite infection - as soon as I touched her I could feel the lice running up my hands and arms!. I dusted her and her bedding, and then also her day old chicks (once they had fluffed up). Two days later I can only see an odd louse now and then - a second treatment in a few days (to mop up the eggs that have hatched in between times) and it will be sorted.

Just one note - although pyrethrins are 'natural' chemicals they are very effective, and need to be used with caution. I suffer from eczema, and if I use the dusting powders without wearing gloves I get a reaction within about 15 minutes. Always follow the instructions on the pack. ;)

You only need to throw eggs away if you give internal treatments such as antibiotics or some wormers.  External treatments such as dusting powders don't have any effect on the eggs, so you can carry on eating them.

I use a pyrethrin based dust to treat lice and mites in the bedding, as well as directly on my birds.  I also add it to their dust bath, so that they treat themselves with it.  There are actually two varieties available here in France - one which is specifically for bedding, and one which is for dusting the birds with. I am not certain what the difference is, but to be on the safe side I buy the two and follow the instructions.

I have just had a broody hen with a severe lice / red mite infection - as soon as I touched her I could feel the lice running up my hands and arms!.  I dusted her and her bedding, and then also her day old chicks (once they had fluffed up). Two days later I can only see an odd louse now and then - a second treatment in a few days (to mop up the eggs that have hatched in between times) and it will be sorted. 

Just one note - although pyrethrins are 'natural' chemicals they are very effective, and need to be used with caution.  I suffer from eczema, and if I use the dusting powders without wearing gloves I get a reaction within about 15 minutes.  Always follow the instructions on the pack.  ;)

Thanks KayTee! So do you treat yourself with cream or something? Like I said is wear I feel them but can't see anything and have no noticeable bites. I'm scared I'm going to infest my home!
1f616.png

For the eczema from the pyrethrin powder I use a zinc-based hand cream. As far as the lice go - they will wander around on your body for a bit, and may irritate you to make you itch, but they won't bite, and chicken lice can't live on humans, so you won't have them infesting you all over.

When I have had a bad infestation in the coop I have often come back to the house and felt itchy all over. I just throw my clothes in the washing machine and have a good shower, and there's no problem. But a couple of good treatments with pyrethrin powder (and a pyrethrin based spray on the walls and perches if it is a very bad infestation) and things seem to settle down.

You will never completely eradicate lice or mites in your flock, but as long as you can keep them at minimal levels everyone (birds and humans) should be happy!

Thank you for that link chickmama81 - I didn't know that chicken mites could bite. I have had them on me several times, but never had a bite from one - I must taste too bad!
lol.png

If you are going to dust your birds then a useful technique is to get an old stocking, fill it with the powder and tie a knot in the end. Then grab your bird and give her a 'powder puff' dust bath - all over, especially under the wings and around the rear end. This method lets you get the powder right down between the feathers to the skin, and means that you waste less of it. Just make sure that the material has large enough holes to let the dust through when you pat it, but not so large that it dumps it all out in one go!

Best of luck to you and your itchy girls.

Back
Top Bottom