Scalded too hot! Is there any way to salvage it?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by mirandalola, Dec 12, 2016.

1. mirandalola

mirandalola Out Of The Brooder

Oct 13, 2016
    NorthEast Texas, USA
    I put my freshly killed chicken in a pot of scald water that was about 190 Fahrenheit. I didn't think it would make much difference, but the bird stiffened quite a bit and the feathers never would all slide out like butter. Obviously I started cooking it.... Does anyone know if there's anything I can do to salvage the meat?

Probably this bird is just going to get buried under a fruit tree, but I'll know what to do next time! (Or I'll know to never let there be a next time!)

2. Poultry parent

Poultry parent Chillin' With My Peeps

i'm pretty sure that you're supposed to scald chickens at about 120, to check how its going you pull a wing feather as they are the hardest to get out

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I think I'd skin it and cook it right away. Do you have a pressure cooker? I've used that on freshly butchered birds (no resting period) and the meat has been fine, even on year plus roosters.

I say skin, as you mentioned difficulty plucking. If you did manage to get it decently plucked, no need to skin.

I've had water a bit too hot and wound up with torn skin, but that's about it. It will be interesting to see how he comes out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by