Scalding pot

longranger

Songster
10 Years
Apr 23, 2009
laguna hills CA
Anyone know of a source for scalding pots large enough for full grown toms. So far I am thinking steel drum or garbage can but would really prefer a real pot. Plan to heat over hot coals so the thicker metal of a real pot would be comforting.

If you really want a pot you might go to a place that sells restaurant supplies and cookware.

Use one of those big galvanized tub's from home depot or Lowe's, some local hardware stores carry them as well..

they work well and you will only have them in it for a few seconds so don't worry about the lead that is in them it will not get into your meat..

plus you can keep it heated over a fire or gas supplied heat. when you put the turkey in it, hold it by the legs and just turn the bird back and forth, should have the feathers loosened up in no time.. also add a 2 drops of liquid dish soap to the boiling water, makes the feather come out much easier.

When buying new, make sure to scrub it good and rinse well of the factory oils and crud

Last edited:
If all else fails I will go to a galvanized trash can or tub. Still have to check out 55 gallon food quality storage drums. Those would need a good heating before use to burn off any coatings and could not be left wet or outside between use because of rust issues. Found up to 160 quart aluminum pots at an online supply company but they are over $100. Why oh why does the world not cater to hobby turkey breeders???LOLOL.

I use my 20 gallon boiling pot I use for big seafood type crab boils. They are big, thick, heavy duty aluminum pots that last forever. Last year I scalded 3 super big turkeys one that dressed out at 48lbs with no problem, You can buy these on seafood sites, they are designed to heat up fast and maintain good temps so these are perfect I would never get rid of mine I love it!!!.

AL

I like the Wear-Ever brand of aluminum stock pots by Lincoln. They sell them at a lots of food service supply places, including at Gordon Food Service. I think you will end up paying around $100 for one that's big enough, though. I found mine on Craigslist.

You could use a 30 gallon steel drum. I'm currently in the process of building a new scalding tank out of one. And they are pretty reasonable too, I think ours was about $14.

Back
Top Bottom