Scale leg mites

Morgk

Songster
Mar 29, 2020
This is Ariel my 6 month old light Brahma hen. She is so sweet. If y’all don’t know light brahmas have feathers on there feet. I did deal with scale leg mites in the past with my grandma chickens but now since I have a flock of my own I haven’t had to worry. To me these don’t look like scale leg mites but I am not sure. Are these scale leg mites?
47F73244-9556-4E7F-BA15-64A937D213CC.jpeg
D333D978-D736-46EF-8641-FE40398AE363.jpeg

Okay thank you. She have those since she was a chick. I thought it was just the feathers bc they come out from under them.

Some feather footed/legged birds can have gnarly scales due to the feather growth, so it may only be that. It won't hurt to do a soak, gently clean them up, and apply vegetable oil and then cover with vaseline or nu stock ointment as treatment in case there is a early case of scaly leg mites. The ointment will attract dirt and look yucky, but it won't hurt anything. If you notice a build up of hard, crusty stuff under the scales, or any scale loss, then that would be more evidence of mites.

Thank u so much. I was confused bc she had since she was a chick. And I have 2 other birds with feathered feet that look like that and it the same area I have 5 clean legged ones that are smooth. So that’s why I didn’t think it was scaley leg mites.

Thank u so much. I was confused bc she had since she was a chick. And I have 2 other birds with feathered feet that look like that and it the same area I have 5 clean legged ones that are smooth. So that’s why I didn’t think it was scaley leg mites.
If she has had this since she was a chick and it hasn't gotten worse, then it isn't scaly leg mites.

She had since a chick and didn’t get worse. And the other two with feathered feet they are the same

Back
Top Bottom