Scale mites holistic treatment

Chicken Staff

In the Brooder
8 Years
Oct 4, 2011
Hi, I'm fairly new to raising chickens, so I will apologize in advance if there is an obvious answer to my question. I have a flock of 4 girls who free range in my somewhat small suburban backyard. I recently noticed that one of the ladies feet are dry and bumpy. Based upon what I've seen in other posts, she might have scale mites. I prefer holistic and organic cures. I recently read that a concoction of garlic and olive oil applied to the feet and legs might help. Does anyone have thoughts or recommendations? Thanks!

What I have done is dip the legs/feet every day in a cup of mineral oil (veg oil would work too) to smother the mites - daily for two weeks.

Towards the end of the two weeks I was doing it every other day. The scales started laying back down afterwards.

I have read to also grease the combs/wattles as those scaly leg mites also attack the face sometimes.

I would also as a precaution do the permethrin poultry dust- dusting routine on the chickens...throw out bedding and spray the coop with permethrin. Then retreat in 7 days or so.

Here is a very good picture of the lifted scales of scaly leg mite:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/33903/scaly-leg-mites-need-best-easiest-quickest-solution-scaley
click the image in the first post

Last edited:
Scaly leg mites cause the scales to lift up, not sure if I would describe it as 'bumpy' but if it is scaly leg mite - I have used liquid paraffin with great results - apply liberally to the legs - stipple into the scales with a stiff paintbrush or old toothbrush. I used to work in a Farm park and this was used with great success - one treatment cleared the problem within days! And no discomfort to the hens.
Good luck

Back
Top Bottom