1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Scale mites holistic treatment

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Chicken Staff, Feb 11, 2012.

1. Chicken Staff

Chicken Staff Out Of The Brooder

Oct 4, 2011
    Hi, I'm fairly new to raising chickens, so I will apologize in advance if there is an obvious answer to my question. I have a flock of 4 girls who free range in my somewhat small suburban backyard. I recently noticed that one of the ladies feet are dry and bumpy. Based upon what I've seen in other posts, she might have scale mites. I prefer holistic and organic cures. I recently read that a concoction of garlic and olive oil applied to the feet and legs might help. Does anyone have thoughts or recommendations? Thanks!

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

What I have done is dip the legs/feet every day in a cup of mineral oil (veg oil would work too) to smother the mites - daily for two weeks.

Towards the end of the two weeks I was doing it every other day. The scales started laying back down afterwards.

I have read to also grease the combs/wattles as those scaly leg mites also attack the face sometimes.

I would also as a precaution do the permethrin poultry dust- dusting routine on the chickens...throw out bedding and spray the coop with permethrin. Then retreat in 7 days or so.

Here is a very good picture of the lifted scales of scaly leg mite:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/33903/scaly-leg-mites-need-best-easiest-quickest-solution-scaley
    click the image in the first post

Last edited: Feb 11, 2012
  3. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Inspect legs more closely to inspect for actual mites. Other factors factors including age and genetics can cause bumby look.

4. cameocrew

cameocrew New Egg

Jan 30, 2012
    Scaly leg mites cause the scales to lift up, not sure if I would describe it as 'bumpy' but if it is scaly leg mite - I have used liquid paraffin with great results - apply liberally to the legs - stipple into the scales with a stiff paintbrush or old toothbrush. I used to work in a Farm park and this was used with great success - one treatment cleared the problem within days! And no discomfort to the hens.
    Good luck

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by