Scalely leg mites

AshleyB97

Chirping
Mar 11, 2020
Hi what can u use for scaely leg mites? I just did a treatment I read about with mixing petroleum jelly And vegetable oil once a week for four weeks. But in worried if they ingest it. It will hurt them. I tried to keep them distracted with treats and such which worked but im looking for a possibly more holistic cure. Thanks!!

take an old toothbrush and gently scrub the scales with vinegar and then massage coconut oil onto their legs to smother the mites daily until they are healed. That's how I treat my chickens, at least. I'm sure there is a lot of other ways. You also want to take out all the bedding and clean out the coop, maybe sprinkling some DE around as well. I hope this helps!

Thank you!! I will try that. The ones that have it are feathered leg bantams. So I'll do that. I recently cleaned and put in hemp bedding instead of wood chips. Hopefully that will help.

As Starburst suggested, but if coconut oil is hard to obtain in your area, olive oil works too.
I actually do have coconut oil on hand. So I'll do that! Also on another similar note heat stress I have a hen that was being ostracized and was panting and spread wings and not very steady so she's currently in my bath tub with prebiotic water and food I don't have any electrolyte water on hand but buying some soon. Besides the things that I've read on line to do would it be okay or wise to buy a fan to put in there coop for a cool breeze at night?? Thanks!!

Back
Top Bottom