Scales on ball of duck feet

Tducks

In the Brooder
Sep 13, 2023
Rockland county
I have some 4 week old ducklings. I noticed on 1 of my magpies (who currently is the only one with angel wing), that the ball of her feet has larger protruding scales. I also have a 2 week old buff duck who is showing early symptoms of it as well. The rest of the flock does not have this. Is this scaley leg mites? On a duck? only on the ball of tge foot
1696622980423_IMG-20231005-WA0005.jpg
IMG-20231005-WA0003.jpg
20231006_162059.jpg
20231006_162108.jpg
? What caused it that i can change to prevent future breakouts? How do i treat? Shld i treat the others even without symptoms? Thank you.

Try seeing if the symptoms match bumble foot, it looks like that could be it hit im not sure it might not be, look up the symptoms and see what deseases they match

I moved this thread to our Ducks forum.

I've seen this on the bottom of one of my chickens pads, but I didn't think it was bumblefoot, eventually it disappeared. Let me tag someone that might know.

@New duck mommy 2021

it’s not scaly leg mites.
Waterfowl do not suffer from scaly leg mitesbecause their legs and webs do not have scales.
it’s not bumblefoot either. definitely does not look like it anyway. with bumble foot, there would be a bump that has a black circle scab on it.
it looks like a callous or wart type growth that ducks occasionally get, I would try spraying it with Vetricyn and then putting Neosporin on it - the kind WITHOUT pain relief, and a little bandage and wrap it in Vet wrap change the bandage every other day.
One of my ducks had a warty looking growth on a foot and it was even bleeding a little. I did what I just mentioned. I also used colloidal silver on it instead of vetericyn a few times the second week., it disappeared.
even if you just spray it and use the ointment a couple times a day and don’t do the wrapping it may work.
“IMHO”

I myself haven’t come across anything like this
Sounds like @Jenbirdee gave some good advice
A few questions
What is the ground like that they are on most the time ? Any large amount of rocks or gravel type thing ?
What kind of bedding is used ? How often is it cleaned ?
Do they have water to swim or stand in ?
Is the ground overly wet from rain ?
This may help us figure out how to prevent it ( I hope )

Back
Top Bottom