Scaley Leg Mites

Marion

Songster
12 Years
Feb 21, 2007
Wilmington, NC
I have read many differing opinions online about how to get rid of scaley leg mites on chickens... I would love to hear what some of you have actually found to be effective in treating this infestation. The guy from the USDA that came to do NPIP tests for me suggested putting sevin dust in vaseline and rubbing that into the chickens legs? Any other cures out there?
he.gif

A product called Red Kote worked best for me. It has Scarlet Oil as it's main ingredient, I only had to use it twice before I saw improvement!
yippiechickie.gif

I tried different oils like tea tree and fish oil and found them to be too messy and not as effective. But I know others have had great success with them.

So you sure don't have to use pesticides if you would rather go natural.

I know that this is a carcinogen, and prbably dangerous. I had a friend tell me that he used kerosene. I debated over using kerosene for a long time. The blue stuff that I purchased at the hardware/feedstore wasn't very effective, although it did help some. I finally dipped my chickens feet and legs into the kerosene one time a week for four weeks. The crud on the legs dried up and crusted off. Kersene worked for my birds. They are doing fine.

I got Red Kote at Mills Fleet Farm. You can check at your local feed store, it's used as an antiseptic and may be with horse or dog products. If you can't find it locally you can get it on-line at statelinetack.com.
big_smile.png

Another good one is mineral oil.Just dip your birds legs for 10 to seconds or so then repeat in a week. it's messy but it works, smuthers them bugs.

Miriam

WD-40. It itself contains kerosene, easy to apply and works. You can also use it to spray down the roosts to be sure and get rid of all the little buggers.

Back
Top Bottom