Scalped by other Hens - Integration gone wrong :(

MeatyCluckers

Chirping
May 22, 2022
My 3 month old pullet made a poor calculation while trying to fly away from one of the older hens got pinned down by the group and scalped - it happened so quickly that by the time I ran outside to intervene the damage was done. The back of her head down to her neck is completely bare. I washed her and applied gauze to stop bleeding, then sprayed with Vetericyn and applied neosporin. She is safely indoors in a dog crate in a quiet room of my house with food and water. She has eaten and had water, but she is mostly just snoozing/snuggling me/standing. She can walk. Her eyes are fine.

This is my very first time with a chicken injury beyond a slightly bloody comb and I'm heartsick that it had to happen to my sweet Trashley, who is the gentlest chicken in the whole world and didn't even try to fight back or defend herself. I will include a photo below but please know it is graphic. This is a couple hours after the attack, with the neosporin applied.

The earliest vet appointment I could get was Saturday (it is Tuesday at time of post). I'm hoping for more advice in the meantime for how best to care for her - I have read many threads and articles and I think I'm doing what's right, but I'm so nervous.
trashley head wound.jpg

Update! The vet said she’s healing well and she should be able to return outside to her (separate!) coop/run as soon as it isn’t super wet outside. She is really doing so well considering the size of the wound. The vet doesn’t think she’s likely to regain feathers for much of the area so I’m kind of considering getting her a young Turken pullet companion so she feels some kinship 🤣 (jk, but I am keeping my eyes out for local rehomings of 8-10ish week old pullets so she has a companion when she’s outside again full time).

For her part, she’s trying to convince me she should be a house chicken. 🤣 She always was a cuddler, but now she’s a CUDDLER.

Attachments

• IMG_4673.jpeg
    IMG_4673.jpeg
    490.2 KB · Views: 11
Trashley is doing well - it's been two weeks now, and her wound has scabbed over. The first 24 hours was the scariest. She didn't eat or drink very much during that window, but her appetite returned after some R&R inside. She is back outside (separate run/coop) now, and is back to her normal self! I think the key is to keep the wound disinfected, keep her clean and indoors for as long as feels okay to you both (Trashley was inside for a little over a week), and patience. I'm not quite sure how they heal from these types of injuries, but she is! I really hope your silkie recovers well, too. <3 It's so scary.
Update: Trashley got a new buddy (well actually two new buddies). This one had the same thing happen to her at another flock and now they can heal together! So far integration is going well, just some minor territorialism around the roost, but that’s to be expected - they’re all coexisting peacefully in the little misfit coop. :)

Attachments

• IMG_5673.jpeg
    IMG_5673.jpeg
    958.3 KB · Views: 4
Yes, she was one of three chicks we got in April, but her two pals were both roosters (which we are not permitted) so they had to find a new home before we had the opportunity to integrate them. I had hoped to include the boys at integration time because they were larger and would put up a fight and I knew she was more docile, but the person taking the roosters asked for them earlier than I expected.
Ah, okay. Integrating one chicken can be quite difficult. Much better if you had some more friends for her. Too bad two of the chicks were boys. :hmm
If possible, it may be a good idea to get her a few more friends, and then try and integrate.

Yeah - it didn't go according to plan at all. I'm hoping I can find her a companion when she heals so that even if they can't integrate with my existing flock, she won't be alone.
Good idea!
When looking for a companion(s) try to find one(s) about her age, or even younger. Integration between them will be easier.

I say keep doing what you're doing and don't worry about painkillers.
Also make sure she's not near any flies, as they could lay eggs on her wound and cause fly strike, which is quite deadly.
She is inside so that she doesn't risk getting dirt or bugs in the wound. She's doing well this morning. She is currently perched on my arm while I work, purring away, and finally starting to do a little preening which she hadn't been doing.

Update! The vet said she’s healing well and she should be able to return outside to her (separate!) coop/run as soon as it isn’t super wet outside. She is really doing so well considering the size of the wound. The vet doesn’t think she’s likely to regain feathers for much of the area so I’m kind of considering getting her a young Turken pullet companion so she feels some kinship 🤣 (jk, but I am keeping my eyes out for local rehomings of 8-10ish week old pullets so she has a companion when she’s outside again full time).

For her part, she’s trying to convince me she should be a house chicken. 🤣 She always was a cuddler, but now she’s a CUDDLER.
Aww, that's great! So glad she's doing well!

My silkie has the same injury after I put cute hair clips in her hair and the others pecked at her so bad they scalped her. Did yours improve? How the heck does it when heal being to the skull? Mine is lethargic and Im having to give her electrolytes through a syringe: she won’t initiate drinking in her own 😞
Trashley is doing well - it's been two weeks now, and her wound has scabbed over. The first 24 hours was the scariest. She didn't eat or drink very much during that window, but her appetite returned after some R&R inside. She is back outside (separate run/coop) now, and is back to her normal self! I think the key is to keep the wound disinfected, keep her clean and indoors for as long as feels okay to you both (Trashley was inside for a little over a week), and patience. I'm not quite sure how they heal from these types of injuries, but she is! I really hope your silkie recovers well, too. <3 It's so scary.

Back
Top Bottom