Scalped chick (graphic)

Silkiechicken66

Songster
6 Years
Jul 22, 2016
Recently my seramas started hatching out a bunch of chicks, but all the hens decided they should be the mothers. So occasionally there may be a little scuffle every now and then, but nothing more than a few pecks.

I noticed one of the newest chicks(1-2 days old) was scalped. I think it got in the middle of a scuffle. It’s doing great, doesn’t even seem to notice anything’s wrong. I’ve dealt with big injuries like this, but the only thing that’s worrying me is the whole flap of skin. All the skin for the head is still there, just peeled off basically.

Should I leave it to dry up and fall off or should I try and do anything with it? I’m applying Neosporin to the wound and keeping the chick inside.

Attachments

• EF9020C6-9EDD-4783-A55B-3167B323A427.jpeg
    EF9020C6-9EDD-4783-A55B-3167B323A427.jpeg
    341.5 KB · Views: 49
  • AEDB3376-8688-4D1C-8002-29DF321208D9.jpeg
    AEDB3376-8688-4D1C-8002-29DF321208D9.jpeg
    292.7 KB · Views: 24
Recently my seramas started hatching out a bunch of chicks, but all the hens decided they should be the mothers. So occasionally there may be a little scuffle every now and then, but nothing more than a few pecks.

I noticed one of the newest chicks(1-2 days old) was scalped. I think it got in the middle of a scuffle. It’s doing great, doesn’t even seem to notice anything’s wrong. I’ve dealt with big injuries like this, but the only thing that’s worrying me is the whole flap of skin. All the skin for the head is still there, just peeled off basically.

Should I leave it to dry up and fall off or should I try and do anything with it? I’m applying Neosporin to the wound and keeping the chick inside.
I have also separated the hens and given each of them a few chicks to help prevent any more injuries.

So sorry this happened to your little one. I've treated this in quail, not chicks, but I'm sure it applies just the same.

As long as the skull isn't punctured anywhere the chick should heal up just fine. Keep cleaning it regularly with antiseptics (chlorhexidine, betadine or vetericyn) and applying the Neosporin (no pain killer). You can allow that dead piece of skin to fall off naturally. Don't yank or pull it as it might still have some live tissue attached.

Keep the chick inside, even for a little while after it's completely healed. Chickens (and even chicks) will pick at any visible wounds and make them worse.

Hope he heals up fast. ❤️

So sorry this happened to your little one. I've treated this in quail, not chicks, but I'm sure it applies just the same.

As long as the skull isn't punctured anywhere the chick should heal up just fine. Keep cleaning it regularly with antiseptics (chlorhexidine, betadine or vetericyn) and applying the Neosporin (no pain killer). You can allow that dead piece of skin to fall off naturally. Don't yank or pull it as it might still have some live tissue attached.

Keep the chick inside, even for a little while after it's completely healed. Chickens (and even chicks) will pick at any visible wounds and make them worse.

Hope he heals up fast. ❤️
Alright thank you! I have it inside under a heat lamp and am keeping the wound clean. The chick acts perfectly fine and is extremely active, and the skull itself looks okay. Just the skin. I’ve been spraying with vetericyn and using Neosporin(no pain killer).

The skin flap is gold. You and this chick are very lucky it didn't get torn off. Use the flap as a skin graft. I learned this when I had surgery on my face for malignant melanoma. The surgeon used a bit of skin from below the tumor site to lay across the raw spot, keeping the graft attached.

The way to do this is you spread the wound ointment over the raw wound, then lay the flap over it. Then smooth more ointment over the top of the flap to keep it in place. Use more ointment as needed to paste the flap firmly in place. First, flush the wound thoroughly with saline, making sure all dirt is washed away.

Reapply ointment two or three times a day and you may need to replace the flap if it moves out of place. By day three the graft should have taken. From then on keep the wound clean and ointment on it at all times so it doesn't dry out.

The chick is very active today and the wound doesn’t look as swollen or red. I sadly don’t think the skin flap is salvageable, as it scabbed up and I can’t get it to move over the wound anymore. I’m still applying medicine under it though.

Back
Top Bottom