Scalped Cockeral

I didn’t think she would make it. If you pulled her skin back, you’d see a pool of blood in her along with everything else. Was very grousome, but made it. Healthy as ever and came out much sweeter
I had a similar thing happen with my rooster
He was pecked in the eye while being preened and we didn’t think he would make it, he went blind in that eye for the rest of his life but he had a happy life. He died of a fox attack late last year but you know what they say ‘ Quality of life beats Quantity’. I am glad your hen made it through. What is her name?

I have had worse scalped chickens make it. There was gamefowl rooster I found running down the road in the rain years ago. He was exhausted, scalped, his right eye was swollen shut and the lid bulging with infection. I caught him and took him home to heal him up. Here's what I did for the scalp healing.

There are two species of medicinal plant, both often referred to as Plantain. They possess excellent antimicrobial and vulnerary properties (a compound called Allantoin in them causes increased cell growth and division, resulting in faster healing of wounds). Either of the species' leaves can be ground into a paste and placed on the wound. By itself it will not stick for long, so in the case of needing to use it on the head of the rooster I cut up some soft, stretchy underwear (like many women's underwears are) and fashioned a little "cap" I could tie under his chin to keep it in place. (I used a different protocol for the eye which is irrelevant to this discussion). You could use other materials, like stretchy leggings or panty hose.

These plants are super common around human settlement, and unless you live in the desert there's probably some growing within 500 feet of you.

Plantago major ("Broadleaf Plantain")
IMG_2344.JPG

Plantago lanceolata ("Ribwort"):
IMG_2345.JPG

The scalp skin grew back and did not become infected. It took it a little while after his skin had grown back in before the feathers repopulated, but amazingly they usually will.

I don't have any photos of the original wound unfortunately but here is a photo of him post-Plantain treatment before his feathers grew back in. The skin is completely regrown here:
IMG_2346.JPG

And after feathers have regrown:
IMG_2347.JPG

If you are unable to get ahold of or don't care to use antibiotics, this is an excellent and free option. I use it on myself all the time, other humans, chickens, ducks, dogs, geese. It's wonderful stuff.

Hopefully the hens pecking him did not cause brain trauma. If his pupils are dilated and/or you suspect brain swelling, a compound in Dandelion leaf (I forget the name at the moment) crosses the blood-brain barrier and works against brain inflammation (unlike the vast majority of anti-inflammatories), though nothing I know can undo already caused brain damage; this is simply a preventative so that swelling does not cause more. This is fed to the chicken. I've used this to treat Wry Neck successfully.

I wish you and your rooster good luck in the healing process.

I don't think so. But with swelling and face pulled down I can't tell just yet.
He wants to be held and iss raking asprin water. He trills to me and cuddles close.
Vertricin VH on sterile guaze to cover wound until vet opens in AM.
Vetericyn is very good.
He's a little fella, so they do like cuddles, he's finding some comfort/safety when you hold him.
Keep us posted on his progress and about your vet visit.

I had a similar thing happen with my rooster
He was pecked in the eye while being preened and we didn’t think he would make it, he went blind in that eye for the rest of his life but he had a happy life. He died of a fox attack late last year but you know what they say ‘ Quality of life beats Quantity’. I am glad your hen made it through. What is her name?
It's a little BSL roo. His name is Conner because the girls named the chick Connie until I explained the white on top of it's head ment the chick was a boy.
Lol
Any way, Conner is eating and drinking today but doesn't want me out of sight. I found him and cleaned him up and he wants to be right under my chin on my chest.

Conner is standing, stretching and trilling this morning.
Doc gave him a shot of antibiotics, said nothing more we could've done for Conner.
Keep using Vetromyacin spray and alternate with Neosporin several times a day.
Eye appears to be gone, not sure if he can hear out of that ear yet.
His wings are scraped up a bit, but nothing broken.
Deeper muscle wound than I thought, but Doc says it will heal itself. ❤️
Thanks for all the encouraging stories.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom