Scalped duck injury

I would probably avoid ointments or creams inside the wound. If you haven't already, giving the wound one good clean-out sounds like a good idea to reduce infection risk. You could try hydrogen peroxide or even just sterile saline to clear any dead tissue or debris. These items could be picked up at a local pharmacy.
I’ve been cleaning twice daily with sterile saline solution as thought that was the best bet. Have undressed the wound now as the bleeding had stopped.
Looks terrible still and she still won’t eat. Thinking I make a slush and put it in her mouth maybe? Don’t even want to syringe into her croup as can’t really hold her head steady.

WARNING! Graphic picture

Attachments

• C5D31CDB-00CF-45DB-AD3B-9AF8F086F0C2.jpeg
    C5D31CDB-00CF-45DB-AD3B-9AF8F086F0C2.jpeg
    400.6 KB · Views: 25
Poor thing. It's amazing how well they heal from some really bad injuries. If you can keep it clean and from infection she'll more than likely heal. As for feeding is she drinking? sometimes when they won't eat but will drink you can make her feed real soupy and try to get her to eat this way. Use warm water.

Success I got her to eat!
Not a lot but better than nothing. I decided to make a real pellet mash as she was drinking well. She started drinking it then eating the chunks in it. Just been checking her very regularly as she’s not opened her eyes yet and worried she won’t find the food and water. So been offering her the bowls by hand for her regularly.
I then just read the suggestion on here about soup food so pleased to report it worked.

It's hard to tell how deep it goes but it does look like the skull may be damaged. It looks like healthy tissue though and you're doing a good job! Just be prepared in the future that she may have some neurological issues from this. It's good news shes eating & drinking though.
Thank you.
It is indeed the skull and yes does look to be slight damage to it but no actual cracks or anywhere that’s exposed the inner membrane or her brain.
I am prepared for the poor girl to drop dead or have neurological issues.
If she recovers and can live a happy quality of life that would be wonderful. Even if she no longer talks Muscovy.
I now have chicken mesh attached to netting so no one can put their heads through!!!
Roll on letting birds out again. Her mother’s keeping a close eye on her and put the little coop with her confined in the pen and made a mesh door for day time to let light in. Her mum Dora always peers in when I’m down feeding and cleaning her.
Was a unplanned hatch! Dora hid a nest under the horse box and I couldn’t get to her without crushing the nest. They hatched the start of Dec and managed to catch them all up. Very strange time of year to hatch.

What wonderful news!! I tell ya they are amazing! Just keep the area clean so nothing gets into the wound. Thanks so much for updating and please keep it up.
Thank you. Yes I was pleased to see her seeing me today!
I’ll keep the post updated on her progress. Just hope she heals up well.
Really important to keep the wound clean. The bowl of water I’ve given her is just deep enough to clear her nostrils but not submerge her head as was concerned she may try. Considering she likes standing in her drinking water and adding food to it not a good idea I thought.

No i didn't need to use anything, but if it started looking infected i would use iodine or similar.
Our turkey just suffered a dog attack and lost some skin. Vet said use Manuka honey $32/pound!) to keep the wound moist. (Manuka honey- expensive- but does have extra antibiotic properties. Regular honey is better than nothing. She said not to cover the wounds with any dressing, just the honey.) ON the other hand, we had a young rooster with a very similar sitation to your duck. Big chickens scalped his head when it got stuck in a fence. Amazingly he recovered fully. At that time I just slathered the wound with triple antibiotic ointment daily. At first he didn't stand up, but eventually did. Your duck should be fine in the end. Just keep it away from the others until it's fully healed. (I know, what a mess!) And be vigilant about infection. Make sure he has access to water to dip his eyes and nose in always, of course. Clever helmet!

Back
Top Bottom