Scaly leg mite woes

His scales don't look that bad at all and the swollen flesh could just be from having his feet covered in Vaseline every day for 6 wks...we'll probably never know. I'd just soak him, scrub that Vaseline off so the CO has good contact, apply a good coat and just leave him be for awhile. The CO may actually make those look more red for the first few days as it tends to bring more blood to the area initially. Give him a good month on just the one application of CO and check back on him....it's worth a shot to see if it helps reduce that swelling.
Okay, thanks! That makes me feel a lot better. I'll do that.

Any tips on bathing chickens that tend to projectile poop over and over in the water (or any other time that they're unhappy with you)?

Yep, do this outside and in a small basin that's just big enough for them to stand in but not big enough to fit the butt into...that part should be hanging over the outside of the basin. Use old towels and let poop happen if it's gonna happen.
wink.png

Yep, do this outside and in a small basin that's just big enough for them to stand in but not big enough to fit the butt into...that part should be hanging over the outside of the basin. Use old towels and let poop happen if it's gonna happen.
wink.png

Haha, okay. Actually, I doubt this rooster will be much of a problem (fortunately, because he's the dirtiest at this point). It's a couple of the hens that tend to do the projectile protest pooping.

Last year I bathed a hen and a rooster prior to a show and you would think they'd done this always...they seemed to love it, especially the HOURS it took to dry them with the blow dryer!
lol.png
WRs have a TON of feathers compared to other breeds...very closely grown, very finely textured, so takes a long time to get one dry after they've been soaked to the skin. I'll never give a chicken a bath again!
th.gif
The feet maybe...but no more chickens. I don't handle my birds much at all, so I was quite pleased and surprised at how docile they were with their very first and last grooming.

She just stood like that, with one leg back, on my lap in this big ol' garden tub and let me blow dry her feathers for over an hour. Still didn't get them all the way dry!

He did the same thing...just stood there, unrestrained, and watched himself in the mirror while I blew his feathers dry...took forever and he never once tried to leave or get off my lap.

This is my ol Ma holding him for me...gives you an idea how big he is...or how small she is.
gig.gif
He's bigger than that now......he was just a cockerel in these pics.

Soaking and scrubbing a chicken's legs is easy peasy.  Just have your water prepared in a small basin, ease the chicken down into it...most of the time they will like it and sit still for you, but if not, just keep them low in it so they can't get a foot over the edge and tip the basin.  Once they've soaked a bit, just lay them on their back or side on a towel, wrap them up like a burrito, leaving the feet hanging out.  Then just use a cuticle brush and gently scrub the scurf from the scales and feet.  They will stay more calm with this if you cover their heads with the towel so they can't see. 

Wow that sounds pretty easy! Thanks! I was envisioning dunking chickens in a 5 gallon bucket, this sounds way easier haha

Last year I bathed a hen and a rooster prior to a show and you would think they'd done this always...they seemed to love it, especially the HOURS it took to dry them with the blow dryer! :lol: WRs have a TON of feathers compared to other breeds...very closely grown, very finely textured, so takes a long time to get one dry after they've been soaked to the skin. I'll never give a chicken a bath again! :th The feet maybe...but no more chickens. I don't handle my birds much at all, so I was quite pleased and surprised at how docile they were with their very first and last grooming. She just stood like that, with one leg back, on my lap in this big ol' garden tub and let me blow dry her feathers for over an hour. Still didn't get them all the way dry! He did the same thing...just stood there, unrestrained, and watched himself in the mirror while I blew his feathers dry...took forever and he never once tried to leave or get off my lap. This is my ol Ma holding him for me...gives you an idea how big he is...or how small she is. :gig He's bigger than that now......he was just a cockerel in these pics.
Wow that's amazing they were so docile! And they're gorgeous birds!

Can anyone tell me if my dads hen &
roosters legs are normal for their breed or do they have mites? There is no symptoms. I do not know what breed they are only thing I know is they are smaller than average chickens & she lays tiny eggs. None of his other chickens have this scaly looking like wool socks on look. Thanks

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom