Scaly leg mites! Help BYC!

BiddyBiddy

Songster
May 12, 2018
North Carolina
Just checked on my babies (like I do every night) when I got home from my 12 hour shift at work and am upset. So I’m pretty sure my 8 month old light Brahma (Ivory) has scaly leg mites. :( Raised scaly areas and reddened areas as well, obviously uncomfortable for her. There is some red irritation extending up her leg. I soaked her legs and feet in warm soapy water and gently scrubbed with a soft toothbrush. I then applied some vaseline for tonight.
I’ve read through a bunch of articles and threads and my head is spinning! I need advice as to what would be the best solution for me. I have 15 chickens (4 roos and 12 hens) all 8 months old of various breeds. Many with feathered feet (silkies, cochins, salmon farvorole, and brahmas) Ivory is the only one who looks affected. I didn’t notice her condition before because of how heavily feathered her feet are and couldn’t see them. I’ve checked everyone and dont see any other type of mite or lice but admittedly, I am a novice at this. They have a very large and spacious coop attached to a large fenced 50’x50’ open air run. It’s only covered by aviary netting to protect from hawks but smaller wild birds come and go freely. My property is partially wooded and their run is mostly shaded with trees. I have pine straw on the ground outside to keep mud minimal since they destroyed the grass. The coop has pine shavings on the floor and Sweet PDZ under the roost. Here are my questions...
1. What method would be fastest and most effective to use on my mixed flock and feathered feet? (The vaseline method sounds like a poor choice) and gasoline method may be painful to red irritated skin?
2. Should I get Ivermectin? If yes then what form (got a Tractor Supply near by)? Dosing? Egg withdrawals?
3. I have Gordon’s Permethrin 10, should I spray the coop with it? Is it even effective on leg mites?
4. How do I prevent reinfestation?
5. Should I do anything else to the run? Spray the Permethrin out there?
Need some of that BYC wisdom!

Your pyrethrin you commented about on your first post will work.

Also that exact ivermectin I posted on the link should be at tractor supply or a local feed store. Its the cheapest and it works.

Raised scaly areas and reddened areas as well, obviously uncomfortable for her. There is some red irritation extending up her leg. I soaked her legs and feet in warm soapy water and gently scrubbed with a soft toothbrush. I then applied some vaseline for tonight.
Can you post photos of the legs?

IF she has Scaly Leg Mites the initial treatment that you used will work - cleaning the legs and applying some type of oil. The oil (vaseline) smothers the mites.

You can spray your coop with Permethrin is you wish. SLM live under the scales of the legs, so smothering them is your "best" treatment. The coop cleaning is always advisable since SLM can slowly be transmitted from bird to bird, likely during roosting.

If you are worried about egg withdrawals/drug residues, the Ivermectin may not be the right product for you - you will need to do some research and find a timeline that you are most comfortable with.

Can you post photos of the legs?

IF she has Scaly Leg Mites the initial treatment that you used will work - cleaning the legs and applying some type of oil. The oil (vaseline) smothers the mites.

You can spray your coop with Permethrin is you wish. SLM live under the scales of the legs, so smothering them is your "best" treatment. The coop cleaning is always advisable since SLM can slowly be transmitted from bird to bird, likely during roosting.

If you are worried about egg withdrawals/drug residues, the Ivermectin may not be the right product for you - you will need to do some research and find a timeline that you are most comfortable with.
Not too worried about egg withdrawals, but would like to know how long. Most concerned with getting rid of the mites and making her comfortable. I’ve read that The vaseline method can take months and isn’t that effective. Also really hard to get down to the skin with all the feathers. Another concern is should just I treat the whole flock? Wipe it out all at once so it doesn’t spread? What do you guys think?

Not too worried about egg withdrawals, but would like to know how long. Most concerned with getting rid of the mites and making her comfortable. I’ve read that The vaseline method can take months and isn’t that effective. Also really hard to get down to the skin with all the feathers. Another concern is should just I treat the whole flock? Wipe it out all at once so it doesn’t spread? What do you guys think?
I’ll try to get pics tomorrow. Kinda late right now.

Yes, you can use the Pour On - dosing instructions can be found HERE
There is no "official" egg withdrawal period for Ivermectin since it's not approved for use in poultry. It is absorbed into the bloodstream, so there is a good possibility that residues can be found in the eggs. You have to find what you are comfortable with and make sure whoever consumes the eggs are not allergic to Ivermectin.

Withdrawal for Ivermectin is 48 days in cattle - so some people find a happy medium and throw away eggs from anywhere like 14-30 days after last treatment.

Yes, you can use the Pour On - dosing instructions can be found HERE
There is no "official" egg withdrawal period for Ivermectin since it's not approved for use in poultry. It is absorbed into the bloodstream, so there is a good possibility that residues can be found in the eggs. You have to find what you are comfortable with and make sure whoever consumes the eggs are not allergic to Ivermectin.

Withdrawal for Ivermectin is 48 days in cattle - so some people find a happy medium and throw away eggs from anywhere like 14-30 days after last treatment.
Okay thanks! :D

Back
Top Bottom