Scaly leg mites! Help BYC!

893A173B-F482-4038-A71D-2949281F32FF.jpeg
I’ll try to get pics tomorrow. Kinda late right now.
Can you post photos of the legs?

IF she has Scaly Leg Mites the initial treatment that you used will work - cleaning the legs and applying some type of oil. The oil (vaseline) smothers the mites.

You can spray your coop with Permethrin is you wish. SLM live under the scales of the legs, so smothering them is your "best" treatment. The coop cleaning is always advisable since SLM can slowly be transmitted from bird to bird, likely during roosting.

If you are worried about egg withdrawals/drug residues, the Ivermectin may not be the right product for you - you will need to do some research and find a timeline that you are most comfortable with.
Here’s some pictures. I dipped everyone in gasoline and then olive oil. They hate me now so these were the best I could get after traumatizing them. The oil really allows you to see the irritated skin that the feathers covered up. In the daylight I teally inspected everone else and noticed what may be early infestation in 1 or 2 others. That’s why I just dipped every one.

She does have some SLM going on. Some of the redness is likely due to being feather foot, looks like she may have some feathers coming in, hormones can cause a flush as well.

Hopefully the gas and oil will take care of them, I've heard it works well.

Back
Top Bottom