Scaly leg mites, HELP! (continued) (pics)

Easter_pink_silkies

Songster
11 Years
Mar 14, 2008
Northern Virginia
101_1228.jpg
this is Ezzyo shes the worst
101_1235.jpg
and this is Afro shes getting really bad as well....i dont think vasaline will fix this.

Vaseline will work, but youhave to keep it slathered on the affected areas. Vaseline in and of itself will not cure the mite problem. What it does is smother the mites by blocking access to air. It will take a while to accomplish this.

I will share what I have done along with a disclaimer.

The following is informational only and it is not approved for use. I used this product against labelling recommendations and I do not in any way recommend that anyone else do this.

I sprayed WD-40 on my hands to make a pool of liquid. I applied this to the hens' legs while they were on the roost for several nights in a row. It seemed to have taken care of the problem quickly, as the hens were asleep and gave the WD-40 a chance to work in to the skin and the mites.

Terrie is right. Both vasoline and WD -40 will work on the mites. Anything that will coat the legs. Vick's vapor rub works good too.

Mites live in the coop too, so clean out where ever they live and coat everything with seven dust, poultry dust, DE or whatever you prefer for killing the bugs, it will help with any lice trouble too. Make sure you do the nest boxes and roosts too.
It is one of those ongoing things you just will have to do as preventive. Wild birds, mice etc.. can bring in the parasites, so it is something you just have to keep on top of.

Christie
big_smile.png

I know for a fact that vasonline will work. I bought a pair of bantam's 2 weeks ago and man there legs were awefull! I have been using vasonline on both of them and I can tell a major difference. They are hard to get rid of but you can do it.

ive never heard of the wd40 trick, but it definitly seems like somthing that would kill mites,i geuss i would get sevendust at the co-op? ive heard the mites can live for 30 days without a host, so far it seems pretty inpossible to cure, ive also heard that a varity of oils may help,or not. most of the information ive aquired from actual websites is hypocritacal but if i come at it with an arsanal of different things i imagine itll have to work!
Thanx

I tried WD-40 on some of my infected birds because vaseline didn't seem to be working plus everything was sticking to their legs
lol.png

I just applied it yesterday so I'll wait and see what the results are. I was told you should apply it again about a week after the first dose.

Roman

I have had the best luck using Tea Tree Oil ointment for scaly leg mites. The Tea Tree kills the eggs and helps with secondary infections from the adults. Body mites do live off the chicken for most of their life cycle but not scaly leg mites, they do the whole life on the leg. Sevin will not be helpful.

You need to help that first one with her nails too! Wow bet she could barely walk!

I just treated yesterday. used half a bottle of teatree oil mixed in a pint of mineral oil and dipped each leg. did I do this correctly? how long untill I need to reapply? how long until I see results? also oiled the roosts and cleaned top to bottom.

flip, you and i are in the same boat!~i have no idia wich of the "right"cures to use. and ive been meaning to clip Ezzys toenails but shes been painful on that leg and i was waiting untill her limping got better. did the scaly leg mites cause her to limp?

Back
Top Bottom