Scaly Leg Mites - Need Best / Easiest / Quickest Solution - Scaley

Pics
I just bought 2 barred rock pullets. Got them home (still in isolation in my garage) but I noticed there legs looked bad, and after seeing pics in here I'm fairly certain it's leg mites. Should I try to treat them and introduce them to my coop or contact the seller and try to send them back. I'm afraid to spread it to my other birds.
Thanks

Hi froggiesheins,

Maybe you can help with our silkie's feet too. We started with one silkie with scaly legs and one without. We tried coconut oil on the scaly legs for a while but it never really got better or worse, and the other never got it despite them being together all the time, so we figured it was scars from an old infestation, and did not realize we could scrape off the scales like you did. We then let them hatch a couple of eggs and the new hen now has scaly legs too. We thought it would be the same, but today we noticed one of the toes looks bent beyond normal. Came on BYC and saw your post, looks like she's going to lose that toe if we don't do anything about it. Will be bathing her feet in mineral oil for the next few days and then attempt your procedure on the weekend. What do you think?

I am the QUEEN [well by my house] of getting rid of these buggers.

OH BOY, yes that is scaley leg mites DELUX! Vaseline those legs real good for a day or two and then scrape, scrape scrape.....My procedure really really does work, its just time consuming and can be gross for the faint of heart.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the detailed steps and descriptions of how the mites work. We should probably breed the one hen that seems immune to them ;)

I've been painting canola oil on the legs and feet of my new bird with scaley legs. After 3 days I see scales are lifting, it looks gross but they must be getting close to shedding off. Lets hope she has smooth legs in no time :)

Back
Top Bottom