Scaly Leg Mites - Need Best / Easiest / Quickest Solution - Scaley

Pics
Easiest treatment for Scaly Leg is CAMPHO PHENIQUE from the Drug Store. Use an eyedropper. Hold leg up and let it drip down each toe and then up the legs to the hock.
Unlike greasy treatment, that may not go completely under scales, Campho Phenique will flow under the scales,snuff the mites, and if a mild infection, will leave the legs and feet clean, smelling nice, and one treatment will do the job. Bad cases, use twice a week, and take several weeks--that is all. If untreated, poor birds can lose toes and suffering..........For Show birds, it is nice to clean legs and feet, and no chance of being infected with scaly leg mites from a Show cage
And it is nice for minor scrapes for people--what is is designed for.....

I just can't get rid of the scaly leg mites in my flock.. Its driving me mad more then the chickens!!!

None have it bad.. but most have uplifted scales and discoloured pale coloured legs.

I have been applying Vaseline at night to the feet, legs, and the roosts. They seem to get better, but a few weeks later it slowly comes back. Some birds never get batter at all, but don't get worse either.

I think I am doing something wrong. I apply the Vaseline each night for 5 days... then a couple of times a week for the next week or 2.

At the moment I noticed its come back.. and this time I want to get rid of it properly.

I can't get chemical treatment from the vets because I have about 40 birds and the cost of treating each one individually will be too much.

I want a cheap, easy and reliable way to get rid of the mites and please tell me how much to treat, what days and for how long.

Thanks.

Elector is 5x the strength of what you posted, so naturally the price is less. I have wild birds galore on my property. Sparrows, Robins, Finches, Jays, Crows, Vultures, Warblers, Canaries, Quail, are all common here. Never used Spinosad and still don't have mite problems. A Chicken is more likely to get scaly leg mites on range rather than the coop which is kept properly. If birds range where other wild birds exist, they will likely pick up mites. It is how well you pay attention to your birds, and the product safely used as a residual, which determines whether or not you prevent an infestation. I don't use dusts or watered down insecticides. I use emulsified concentrates. It has worked for decades without a sign of resistance from invertebrate pests.

Yes I understand that, it was just an example. The product I use 10g/L spinosad and is very effective. I pay plenty of attention to my birds and like this product.
Each to their own.

I just can't get rid of the scaly leg mites in my flock.. Its driving me mad more then the chickens!!!

None have it bad.. but most have uplifted scales and discoloured pale coloured legs.

I have been applying Vaseline at night to the feet, legs, and the roosts. They seem to get better, but a few weeks later it slowly comes back. Some birds never get batter at all, but don't get worse either.

I think I am doing something wrong. I apply the Vaseline each night for 5 days... then a couple of times a week for the next week or 2.

At the moment I noticed its come back.. and this time I want to get rid of it properly.

I can't get chemical treatment from the vets because I have about 40 birds and the cost of treating each one individually will be too much.

I want a cheap, easy and reliable way to get rid of the mites and please tell me how much to treat, what days and for how long.

Thanks.

Housing premises must be treated in addition to birds' legs and toes. If you examine grease versus oil, you will see the difference in the time it takes to penetrate. The mites causing scaly leg, Knemidokoptes mutans, are practically microscopic ( 0.5 mm) , and unless a product penetrates under scales, the mites survive and continue to cause the problem.

I treat roosts once a month with a spray or roost paint by use of an emulsified concentrate, containing either permethrin, rabon-vapona, or malathion. It is a good idea to stagger the use of insecticides to prevent resistance to one or the other. There are many insecticides labeled for safe use on and around poultry, so it is important to pay attention to labels.

Moist areas such as wood piles are an opportunistic home for Knemidokoptes mites. The same with wild bird nesting areas, or areas where wild birds congregate. If chickens can be prevented from visiting certain areas where wild bird species frequent, the chances of contracting mites is less. Since we cannot run around spraying everything in the outside environment, it is wise to develop a program of premise treatment in the housing of poultry. People who do not clean out their coops on a regular basis experience increased mite populations among other pests. Cleaning means removing litter and dust, disinfecting floors, roosts, nest boxes, etc., then applying a residual pesticide. After the product applied has dried, new shavings are introduced, and birds can return to having access to the coop. I do this 3-4 times a year, and have witnessed the benefits of doing so over a long period of time. I schedule it so that just before the worst weather of Winter is upon us, those coops are treated since mites pine for survival in warm, protected environments where a food source exists. I do it again is early Spring, and again in Summer.

Nustock http://www.nustock.com/ is a product I use that is effective for topical application of birds' legs and feet. Since it is the consistency of a paste, I prefer to mix enough oil to thin it to the consistency of a paint, and keep it in a capped container. I use Jojoba oil, but mineral oil can work too. I wear nitrile gloves and pick up each bird off the roost at night while wearing a headlamp. They are calm at night, and this is also an opportunity to examine the vent, and between feathers along the body for any other possible ectoparasites. I apply the paint to the legs by massaging it against the direction of scales so it penetrates underneath them. The entire leg and toes must be treated thoroughly, then the bird can be placed back on the roost. Depending on the condition of scales determines much. Instances where the problem is advanced may require actually brushing the legs clean with a soap/water solution to remove dried exudate that forms on legs from an infestation, allowing legs to dry, then applying the topical solution. That happens in cases where long periods of neglect have happened. After that, regular treatment of legs as I mentioned above will eventually remedy the problem. Treatments of 2-4 times a week have been sufficient for my birds. Regular treatment of legs that just appear dry, can take place once every couple weeks. Older birds are more susceptible to scaly leg mites than younger birds.

Last edited:
:goodpost:
Might I also add that when birds are broody they are very susceptible to lice and mites, due to their lack of mobility. It is best to treat them early in the piece so that the hatching chicks aren't lousy. It is also a perfect opportunity to apply oil to the legs. I use Vicks vaporub , but that's a personal choice.

My chickens have the scaly leg mites, thanks to the horrible situation where I bought them I didn't know but the new girls were riddled with every mite going!
I am so horrified by that breeder :(

Anyway before I undertake the night time harrassments of my flock, I am just wondering can the ducks catch scaly leg mites from the chickens?
I haven't noticed anything, but if they are susceptible as well I shall have to treat them too.
Also I have an ivormectin powder that mixes up as a spray I was told I should spray on their legs, anyone had any experience with a spray on like that?

Thanks.

Castor oil...it can be found at any pharmacy for a good price and it goes a long way. One treatment should be all they need, apply liberally and massage upwards into the scales all the way to the feathers. Then be patient...you are going to see pale, discolored scales after that as the old scales are shed and the new growth of scales grow in underneath. Let it happen. Don't treat again for awhile and see how well it works.

You might also dust down your roosts with sweet lime or sulfur dust...both are cheap and can be found in any garden center.

Someone told me Permethrin soak is fastest, but that stuff is nasty...the directions say you're supposed to use a mask and gloves. I've used petroleum jelly with success, but it takes a long time. Has anyone tried Permethrin and is it fast?

That's another great thing about the castor oil over the petroleum jelly...it has antibacterial, antifungal, and anti-inflammatory properties, as well as the ability to stimulate more blood flow to compromised areas and encourage scale and hair growth. It's just got more possibilities. Folks used it for frost bite this year and it prevented it, reversed damage in most cases and minimized damage in others that were too far gone by the time it was applied.

It also relieves joint pain...for the animals and humans alike. Just applied it to a meat bird's leg for some unknown injury that caused it to limp and not want to walk. By that evening it was up on its leg again and has been fine ever since. It helped my gimpy old rooster with the arthritis in his leg and it lasted a long, long time. It has also helped with the arthritis and injury in my spine as well...within minutes I have pain relief that lasts longer than an oral med.

Keep the Vaseline...I'd use it for dry elbows or something. I'll take the castor oil any day.

That's great information, thanks! We have an old hen who is gimpy on her left leg. She gets around fine, but she often shakes her leg, especially when it's cold outside, and looks at it in an annoyed way, as if to say "will you make this @#!*& thing stop hurting!?" I've been giving her baby aspirin, which helps, but I like the Castor oil idea better. I'll try it, and we also have a roo with leg mites, I'd like to try it on him too, he's really lame with them, and he has arthritis, also.

Back
Top Bottom