Scaly Leg Mites - Need Best / Easiest / Quickest Solution - Scaley

Pics
Thank you Auroradream26 i do meam the pour on type is there any specific place i should put the ivomec on my girls

Don't use the ivomec.. just dip the feet and legs in mineral / cooking oil a few times a week for a couple of weeks... more natural way, cheaper, and no danger about eating the chickens eggs.

Quote: I have found free ranging has no effect on reducing scaly leg mites. My flock is free range in the orchard 24 / 7... they don't have a coop. They sleep up in the mango trees at night. But still I get a few birds each year with the SLM. Some just seem genetically prone to it. Others never catch it.

I see this is a very old thread, but I am currently treating my flock for leg mites. I read somewhere that even though once the mites are gone, the scales on the legs will not go down until the next molt when they fall off. Is this true? How will I know the mites are truly gone if the scales don't go down?

Well I treated mine in the late summer/ fall, they did shed the old, but they weren't molting at the time, but I know many birds do molt at that time. (Of course mine waited for winter to molt- go figure, super cold) Perhaps washing the legs- I actually scrubbed them with an old toothbrush and flea and tick shampoo. I then used ivermectin, pour on, on the back of their neck. Couple weeks later the scaliness was gone. Oh and I did rub some bagbalm on their legs as well. Probably over kill, but it was successful. But its a goood question as my pullets aren't really shedding the scales as quickly, they look dry and scaly still, after a couple weeks.

We picked up a new CCL roo last fall when I lost my boy. When I got him home, I realized that he had mites (and rediculous toenails). He was in rough shape. Every day during his quarentine, I took a bucket of warm soapy water with a few drops of lavender and peppermint essential oils (I was out of tea tree or I would've added that) and scrubbed his legs with a toothbrush. Afterwards, I would dry them off and coat his legs with vaseline. It didn't take long at all for them to clear up and for his scales to look good again. He's quite the looker now. I'm not sure if he was in molt at the time or not. It wasn't obvious if he was.

Last edited:
We picked up a new CCL roo last fall when I lost my boy. When I got him home, I realized that he had mites (and rediculous toenails). He was in rough shape. Every day during his quarentine, I took a bucket of warm soapy water with a few drops of lavender and peppermint essential oils (I was out of tea tree or I would've added that) and scrubbed his legs with a toothbrush. Afterwards, I would dry them off and coat his legs with vaseline. It didn't take long at all for them to clear up and for his scales to look good again. He's quite the looker now. I'm not sure if he was in molt at the time or not. It wasn't obvious if he was.

All my CLs, male and female, end up with long nails. They don't scratch enough, or scratch differently or something. (They also last a lot longer in a paddock before reducing it to a moonscape). They are the only birds I have where I have to trim their toenails.

I have noticed mites in my hen....any ideas?

If you have an old toothbrush, use warm soapy water (dawn works great) and the toothbrush to scrub her legs. Dry them, then coat in vaseline. Do this every day and they'll go away quickly. If you have any peppermint, lavender or tea tree essential oils, adding a few drops of them to your soapy water will speed up the process.

Back
Top Bottom