Scaly leg mites?

jtlange

In the Brooder
Jun 16, 2016
My Black Copper Marans has sudden onset lameness. I thought she might have fallen off the roost and have isolated her. Her legs are chronically strange-looking, though, scales more irregular than my other chickens and always with tiny half-feathers that don't grow out. I've checked her vent and the rest of her skin looks normal except many very long pin-feathers. Could she have leg mites, and could they contribute to her walking problems?
[/IMG]

How old is she? I don't see much evidence of leg mites, but it usually involves loose scales on the legs. Castor oil rubbed under the scales once a week or as needed is a good treatment for leg mites. Could another chicken be pecking out her feathers? Can she stand at all, and can she use both legs, or is there limping or dragging of a foot? Does she sit on her hocks or have any curling under of her toes?

She is 18 weeks. I don't notice the others pecking at her. Both legs now seem to be affected; she can walk if she braces herself by splaying the other foot outward then thrusting her whole body forward. She falls to a sit on her hocks when she tires. She seems worse despite 2 days of limited movement. She also has chronic diarrhea; I didn't realize how bad until I isolated her. I've treated her with Duramycin in the past with resolution of bloody looking poop but no firm stools; have ordered Corid this time. I treated her legs, just in case. Thank you, Eggcessive!

Sorry - I didn't answer one question: her toes curl when I pick her up, but they are straight when she's bearing weight.

Probiotics or plain yogurt daily in a small amount mixed into her food may help with diarrhea. Diarrhea can be from antibiotic trearment or an illness. Blood in droppings can be a sign of coccidiosis, enteritis, or capillary worms. Hopefully, she is just weak or suffering from a vitamin deficiency. Mareks disease can sometimes be a possible cause of sudden lameness. Do you know if she was vaccinated?

Back
Top Bottom