scaly leg mites

DVK

In the Brooder
May 5, 2019
Hello, I got 5 chickens today who have leg mites and I don't want it to transfer onto my other chickens. does anyone know the fastest way to get rid of leg mites? I didn't have chickens in years so is there anything I should look out for?

Hello, I got 5 chickens today who have leg mites and I don't want it to transfer onto my other chickens. does anyone know the fastest way to get rid of leg mites? I didn't have chickens in years so is there anything I should look out for?
Although I don't use it, Ivermectin is still effective against SLM I'm led to believe.
Otherwise and somewhat safer, is to make a mixture of 75% Vaseline and 25% Betadine.
Smother the legs in this mixture.
Another fast alternative which I have not tried on chicks but which is very effective and fast, is to buy some Rubbing Alcohol and fill an appropriate sized tub with the alcohol and dip the chicks legs in it. keep the legs submerged for 10 to 15 seconds. Let the legs dry and coat with Vaseline.
Welcome to BYC.;)

I believe a quick leg bath in gasoline will do the trick, but I have never dealt with SLM and am only talking from what other people said. @Shadrach is this an effective/safe treatment?
Depends who you ask. I won't use either diesel or gasoline. You only need to spill some on your own bare skin to see why. Diesel in particular is a proven carcinogenic.
There are many better options.

I wish the Chicken chick could be persuaded to take down the irresponsible gasoline idea., which she got from 'an expert', LOL expert. Just because someone is credentialed, it doesn't automatically follow that they know what they're doing.
I, too, had to do scaly leg mites homework in the past, and there's a comment on the chicken-chick blog that I'll never forget, it made me so sad... I really care about the feathered, so I went and retrieved that comment :

'I attempted #4 with gasoline, but the hen was not only high-stepping but also limping after dipping her feet into the gas, as if it were hurting her. I can't see any broken skin, but it occurs to me that the mites may be deeper into the flesh under the scales, and it concerned me enough to double-think the procedure. I also noticed she smelled strongly of gas even two days after. Are we sure that the gas itself is not painful or damaging to the chicken? by MGlenn

What really got me here was the fact that the hen still smelled strongly of gas two days later....

SLM have always been with us and will always be with us , just like bumblefoot. Patience with an edible oil or castor oil and occasional dipping in rubbing alcohol produces results.

I believe a quick leg bath in gasoline will do the trick, but I have never dealt with SLM and am only talking from what other people said. @Shadrach is this an effective/safe treatment?
like car gasoline
I wish the Chicken chick could be persuaded to take down the irresponsible gasoline idea., which she got from 'an expert', LOL expert. Just because someone is credentialed, it doesn't automatically follow that they know what they're doing.
I, too, had to do scaly leg mites homework in the past, and there's a comment on the chicken-chick blog that I'll never forget, it made me so sad... I really care about the feathered, so I went and retrieved that comment :

'I attempted #4 with gasoline, but the hen was not only high-stepping but also limping after dipping her feet into the gas, as if it were hurting her. I can't see any broken skin, but it occurs to me that the mites may be deeper into the flesh under the scales, and it concerned me enough to double-think the procedure. I also noticed she smelled strongly of gas even two days after. Are we sure that the gas itself is not painful or damaging to the chicken? by MGlenn

What really got me here was the fact that the hen still smelled strongly of gas two days later....

SLM have always been with us and will always be with us , just like bumblefoot. Patience with an edible oil or castor oil and occasional dipping in rubbing alcohol produces results.
by any chance do you know when a chicken doesnt need treatment anymore?

I used just regular vaseline in a rooster we got some years ago. i applied it twice a day, morning and evening, not too much that the bird could eat it or that it'd get his belly feathers greasy, but enough to get under the scales. It took maybe a week for the mite debris to start falling off.

There's some really shockingly bad stuff on that ChickenChick site.:mad:

Back
Top Bottom