Scaly leg mites?

Kbickerton42

Hatching
Nov 22, 2020
A few months back our silkie started limping and within the past two weeks it has gotten worse. If she's not limping she is standing with her left leg up (my husband says she looks like a ninja) or finds a spot and sits there for a few hours. She seems to be eating and drinking fine. We purchased her last September 2019 at the county fair so not sure of age/history!
Yesterday I decided to plop her in warm water and epsom salt to clean them and try to see what might be going on. She seemed in a little better spirits after (actually got in a scuffle with our young rooster). I finally came across scaly leg mites which I feel might be what's going on but wanted a few more experts to weigh in! I really don't want to post the pictures bc I'm sad and embarrassed I let it go on for as long as I did but feel it's the best way to get her the help she needs and the knowledge I need. Thanks in advance for any and all help.

PXL_20201121_200435132.jpg

PXL_20201121_200513961.jpg

Welcome To BYC!

Yes, that's a bad case of SLM.
I think I would use Ivermectin to treat for SLM in addition to slathering vaseline onto the scales a few times a week. Soak the feet once a week or so to help work off all that hardened debris.

Ivermectin Pour On dose is 0.09ml per pound of weight applied to the base of the neck. It must come into contact with the skin. Repeat in 14 days.

Nails can use a trimming as well. Work on those slowly, just clip a little at a time until you get those back into shape.

While you are treating her, check her over really well to see if lice or mites on the body are an issue. The Ivermectin should take care of those too, but it's good to know.

Housing, nesting boxes and bedding it's a good idea to treat those with a Permethrin based poultry spray - while SLM generally live under the scales of the legs on the bird, they can migrate so the permethrin can help with that.

Thank you so much for the information and quick response. I plan on going to tractor supply today to pick up some spray and do a thorough cleaning of their coop and I believe they have ivermectin available as well.
When it comes to the nails what type of nail clippers would you suggest?
I'll take a look in her feathers for signs of lice and mites as well.

Thank you again for your kindness and information!

Thank you so much for the information and quick response. I plan on going to tractor supply today to pick up some spray and do a thorough cleaning of their coop and I believe they have ivermectin available as well.
When it comes to the nails what type of nail clippers would you suggest?
I'll take a look in her feathers for signs of lice and mites as well.

Thank you again for your kindness and information!
For nails I use dog nail clippers.

Back
Top Bottom