Scaly Leg Mites

I've seen numerous articles endorsing gasoline and other, credible, articles commenting on the idea. You'd think that would hurt quite a bit given that the bird has sizable mites tunneling under their skin. I've had other people who I trust directly tell me of the vaseline method.

I saw one article on mother earth news who used the head lice treatment for children and it worked. I tried it, but accidentally got the natural version of it, and that worked too, at least for me!
Thanks. Don't think I will use the gasoline method myself. Found some less dangerous/toxic methods I will be trying.

I think, back in the day, folks would use what they had. If they didn't want to lose the flock, gas may have been the answer. Remember, parents would use kerosene on head lice if they didn't want to shave the kid's head. When it's your only source of food, you tend to take drastic measures to ensure survival.

I think, back in the day, folks would use what they had. If they didn't want to lose the flock, gas may have been the answer. Remember, parents would use kerosene on head lice if they didn't want to shave the kid's head. When it's your only source of food, you tend to take drastic measures to ensure survival.
Thanks, makes sense. We soaked the chicken's legs in a bucket of coolish water with a squirt of Dawn dish soap and just a drop of bleach (outside temp was 82!); she loved it. Dried her off and greased her up good with Utter Butter, which we thought would be even more soothing than Vaseline, besides smothering the little buggers. The next day we also wrapped her legs in Vetwrap but she got it off. So we'll just continue with the slathering. We have her isolated. We'll also spray all the other chickens' legs with Permethrin spray.

Back
Top Bottom