Scaly Leg Mites?

hgottman2

Songster
Feb 26, 2021
Southern Illinois
This is Allen — or at least Allen’s feet. He has always had rougher feet than the hens, but I wanted to make sure he doesn’t need to be treated. All the ladies have perfectly healthy scales, so I’m not sure if it is leg mites or not. I’m an overly worried chicken mom most of the time, and I am hoping that is the case. Opinions/advice greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• CE6D307C-CA51-428F-BC30-8D7669500D68.jpeg
    CE6D307C-CA51-428F-BC30-8D7669500D68.jpeg
    416.3 KB · Views: 29
Allen's feet are irritated, but it does not appear he has leg mites. Leg mites lift up the scales and they have the appearance of dirt accumulating under them. Mites are also painful and the chicken would be pecking at his feet or limping or holding the feet up.

Get a bottle of Vetericyn wound spray from your feed store. It may be in the horse section or where the meds are. It's powerful stuff and so easy to use. Just spray his feet a couple times a day until the feed appear to be healed,

Allen's feet are irritated, but it does not appear he has leg mites. Leg mites lift up the scales and they have the appearance of dirt accumulating under them. Mites are also painful and the chicken would be pecking at his feet or limping or holding the feet up.

Get a bottle of Vetericyn wound spray from your feed store. It may be in the horse section or where the meds are. It's powerful stuff and so easy to use. Just spray his feet a couple times a day until the feed appear to be healed,
Thank you so much! Fortunately, I picked up Vetericyn a few weeks ago. I’m so glad I did because I had it on hand for a nasty injury to one of my girls. I’m glad it will work for him, too. I appreciate appreciate the advice!

Back
Top Bottom