Scaly Leg Mites??

Farmlife16

Songster
Aug 12, 2021
This is a 2.5 year old BO hen. Healthy flock, not seeing signs of mites at night when looking with a flashlight. Any thoughts
IMG_4157.jpg
?

The scales are lifted a bit which in an indicator of scaly leg mites. You will not see scaly leg mites in your coop as they are microscopic and not visible to the human eye.

Treatment is pretty non-invasive so treating won't hurt her. Oil, ointment or petroleum jelly directly on the legs will smother them.

This is a 2.5 year old BO hen. Healthy flock, not seeing signs of mites at night when looking with a flashlight. Any thoughts
SLM are microscopic unlike some other mites.. Those look like standard scales for the location and age.. no yellow crud coming out from under neath or other build up looking stuff. (*from what I can see*)

Scales do get old and fall off revealing new ones under neath.

This is my opinion, based on my experience, which does not yet include SLM at more than a decade + and more than 100 birds. But many things vary just by location alone and that hasn't led me to letting my guard down either. Younger birds have nicer legs..

The following link has some examples..

https://the-chicken-chick.com/scaly-leg-mites-in-chickens/

I clean my chickens’ feet once a week and apply castor oil with a toothbrush before they roost at night to help control/prevent SLM. Any lifting of the scales is suspect in my opinion. It looks like your bird has lost scales above the area in question so it could just be that she is growing new ones but that area in front of the leg is usually where SLM issues begin. Cleaning roost bars and changing bedding in the coop/nest boxes more frequently can also help control the mites.

SLM are microscopic unlike some other mites.. Those look like standard scales for the location and age.. no yellow crud coming out from under neath or other build up looking stuff. (*from what I can see*)

Scales do get old and fall off revealing new ones under neath.

This is my opinion, based on my experience, which does not yet include SLM at more than a decade + and more than 100 birds. But many things vary just by location alone and that hasn't led me to letting my guard down either. Younger birds have nicer legs..

The following link has some examples..

https://the-chicken-chick.com/scaly-leg-mites-in-chickens/
Thank you! According to the link, she doesn't look like she has mites but I might just go ahead and treat her anyway.

Back
Top Bottom