Scaly Mites turned deadly... ?

inputoutput

In the Brooder
8 Years
Sep 5, 2011
Cumberland, MD
One of my hens (I got most of them together) has always had raised, abnormal scales on her feet. I bathed her, didn't do anything, I put vitamin supplements in their water and all that. I thought of trying a vegetable oil dip. I clean their coop more than most people. The rest look fine which is weird. She has never messed with her legs or feet or favored them or really done anything outside of normal chicken behavior... I've never even seen mites on her or the others but I don't know why else she would have legs that look like that. I also use a lot of DE in the coop.

Well this morning she was hiding and I pulled her out... and the scales on her legs have been removed. As in, either she or another chicken decided they needed to go and pecked them out overnight. Now I don't know what I can do for her. I don't have a place to quarantine her. This is a very wide wound over an area very susceptible to infection. Should I just cull her and be done with it, to save her the pain?

I'm going to remove everything from the coop this weekend and do a full scrub down.

If not mites, why would they do this?

I cleaned her up, sprayed her legs entirely with blue kote and put her in the "chicken tractor" (a portable but not totally predator proof enclosure). I'll probably drag the tractor somewhere less out in the open and put a house in it, see if she heals up a bit. She is a good layer and one "I like" so I feel I owe her the chance. And of course she's acting like a baby and peeping at me (she usually has an old woman chicken squall).

Back
Top Bottom