Scared and flighty bird, how can I comfort it?

Not to be discouraging or pessimistic, but I've had hens that I've raised from day one, even hatched myself, who still won't let me get near them and scream bloody murder when I handle them. I think all the things others have suggested to win her over are great ideas, but sometimes it just comes down to some birds being more friendly towards people than others... Some of it's genetic, some of it is nurture, and some is just each birds own quirky personality.

I hope that my girl isn't in pain, i could NEVER cull her or any of her flock mates, unless they were in a LOT of pain. Do you think she will be alright? lay eggs? (though that isn't much of a concern.) Sh still roosts and scratches, but she holds her feet up a lot.
The reason I got them is because it was pretty obviouse that they needed another home. So if anything, these guys are "rescue" hens, and will have a life here the way that they want to live it. If for some reason she decides not to be freindly, thats alright.
thanks!
-Roxy

Quote:
The keeper is responsible for determining if genetics have a large influence or not. Even within a breed, genetic differences can be considerable. Even so, with red jungle fowl, I have been able to do some considerable taming by careful handling / conditioning. Red jungle fowl generally speaking are wild critters yet they can be tamed. I suspect they (red jungle fowl) may be easier to tame than something like a leghorn so genetics may make you more or less easier to handle relative to the wild type.

Quote:
Sometimes culling simply means removing that individual from a given flock for one reason or another. It does not always mean killing such an individual for the pot even though with some parties that is intended definition. A couple of my birds were culled because their wingbands fell out and their identity is not not known with certainty. The latter culled birds will likely live many years outside of breeding flock but still used for many years educating kids.

Another point - are you trying to approach her or feed her in the presence of the rest of the flock?

In my flock the privelege of jumping in my lap for treats is straight-up pecking order. Lower ranking birds have to wait til the higher ups get their fill. Then they jump up for a few bites, looking nervously to see if the others are approaching. These visits are usually short - the top birds tend to wander off after a feed, and the lower ones want to stay near the flock so they just grab a few nibbles and leave.

Oh.....another thing that I have learned on BYC! I have treid to approach her with food, very low,crouched down. She came up with the courage one or twice....When I was feeding the girls yogurt the three were at the container and she, as usual, was 10 feet away. So I scooped some yogurt up in my hand and hand fed her
big_smile.png
. I hope that she can eventually feel comfortable around me, She is a very pretty bird, and seems like she has a pretty mild attitude.
thanks everyone!
-Roxy

Back
Top Bottom