Scared chickens

TinyRaptorMom

In the Brooder
May 9, 2021
I know this has probably been asked in the past but I'm new to backyard chickens and my husband thinks I've lost my mind. So we have four 7 week old chickens. I have been slowly getting them use to their coop and chicken run for about two weeks now. Tonight I was going to have them have their first over night sleep in the coop. Thay wouldn't stop chirping and yelling so I went over to them to comfort them and as soon as I open the door they ran to me so I could hold them. I brought them back in the house because it broke my heart (husband thinks I've lost my mind, lol). What's the best way to ease them into their coop for night time. They love it during the day but as soon as it turns night they start to freak out. Thanks in advance.

Chickens have a place where they want to sleep and don’t like it when it changes. It can take them a few nights to get used to this, maybe if you try putting them in their coop after the sunsets and they’ve gone to sleep for a few nights before trying for the whole night. Another thing it might be is that they see you as their ‘mum’ and if a mother were to hatch them she’d take them to a new place and they’d sleep with her. Maybe you abandoning them at night makes them feel unsafe because your not their and they can’t hear or smell you. That’s just a theory. Normally by their age they start doing things a lot more independently and away from their mothers. If you want you can check them a few times just to let them know your still their and it’s safe, but not letting them out.

Last edited:
I know this has probably been asked in the past but I'm new to backyard chickens and my husband thinks I've lost my mind. So we have four 7 week old chickens. I have been slowly getting them use to their coop and chicken run for about two weeks now. Tonight I was going to have them have their first over night sleep in the coop. Thay wouldn't stop chirping and yelling so I went over to them to comfort them and as soon as I open the door they ran to me so I could hold them. I brought them back in the house because it broke my heart (husband thinks I've lost my mind, lol). What's the best way to ease them into their coop for night time. They love it during the day but as soon as it turns night they start to freak out. Thanks in advance.
I think at 6 weeks I put them out in their coop with a red heat lamp. They were brought out in the morning and confined to a smaller area of their 10x10 coop... under the poop board on a roost about a foot off the floor. So they were closer together, maybe that helped, along with the light. They were confined to the coop for 2 solid weeks before being able to go outside, which ensures they return to their coop at dusk.
I never brought them back and forth to the coop and house. I didn't even know anyone who did that, so never considered it. Perhaps they've learned that the coop is temporary and the house is home?
I suggest putting them in the coop sitting the day and check on them a few times. Day good night at sun down and visit in the morning... But don't bring them back in the house. This is harder on you than them... But there's only one way for them to accept their new home... And the sooner you do it, the easier it will be for them.

Thank you for the responses. These four our my first chickens and my husband thinks I've completely went off the deep end with loving the chickens. Lol. I think I'll just RIP off the bandaid and leave them out there and check on them. Again, thank you.

Thank you for the responses. These four our my first chickens and my husband thinks I've completely went off the deep end with loving the chickens. Lol. I think I'll just RIP off the bandaid and leave them out there and check on them. Again, thank you.
You are going to be a great chicken Mama! Don't stop loving them, they deserve it. Chickenkeeping can be hard, but it does get easier. And as we learn to do the tough things, for the benefit of the babies we love, we realize we are growing, we are wiser and they love us back.

Keep us posted!

I think I'll just RIP off the bandaid and leave them out there and check on them. Again, thank you.

Just tear it off! It sounds heartless but I have no issue just shutting the door behind me and walking away no matter how much chicks cry. In a day or two they'll adjust and appreciate their new, roomier digs.

Back
Top Bottom