Scared chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jesd, Apr 5, 2009.

1. jesd

jesd Out Of The Brooder

Apr 5, 2009
    My husband and I are new new to chickens - (he says he's "not new to chickens... I've eaten many chickens" - very funny) we've had ours for all of six days. Things are going really well so far, but I'm wondering if there's an easier way to condition our chicks to being handled. Every time we try to scoop one up, they start chirping loudly and running back and forth to escape from us. Eventually they end up huddled in the corner hiding. Once we have them, though, they're relatively comfortable with being held (although not terribly crazy about it). So, the big question: do they calm down after a while? I had all sorts of little fantasies of having happy chickens following us around the yard, but I'm skeptical. Any thoughts?

2. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    I am new to chickens too, but what i have done with them and they are real friendly now, is sit on the floor with them and let them walk all over you, also when you scoop one up cuddle it close to your face and talk quietly to it- mine have become lap chickens....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by