scared chicks

Roooisin

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 2, 2011
i have three 5 week old chicks and one 2 week old chick. in lots of peoples pictures on this site, i have seen lots of people with their chicks sitting beside the or even sitting on their knees.. my chicks run away when they see me..
hu.gif
how do i get them to come over to me or is it too late to teach them?

The way to a chicken's heart is through their stomach! Bring treats!
lol.png

No, really - even if all you have is a handful of their regular feed, if you bring them some kind of food every time you drop by, they'll quickly learn that the evil scary death hand is actually the wonderful hand that brings tasty things.

I'm still working on being able to pick them up without them squawking like they're about to die, though...

Quote:
What sort of treats should i give them apart from mealworms? what are you using?

Róóóisín :

What sort of treats should i give them apart from mealworms? what are you using?

I've tried grapes, but for some reason my birds ignored 'em, which is weird because it seems from browsing the forum like everyone else's chickens LOVE grapes. I've given them beet greens, lettuce, strawberry tops, pea strings, watermelon rind... whatever I have on hand, really. Just be sure that if you're giving them treats they have access to grit - and chicks needs a smaller size than regular poultry grit.​

Quote:
i have the same problem with yogurt, apparently everyone's chicks LOVE yogurt but my chickens wouldn't even look at it..
idunno.gif
i will try some of those, thanks.. why is it necessary to give grit with the treats

yoghurt with oats works better for me....

Mine are finally beginning to come around when they see me in the morning.. they will come up to the fencing but if I go to move the run or stick a hand in they run away... I hope it just takes more time. Mine will NOT eat out of my hand yet

It does seem that chickens have varying tastes. MAKE SURE BEFORE YOU GIVE TREATS THAT THEY HAVE SOME GRIT IN THEIR DIET - chick grit from store or pecking around in sandy soil. Even grape skins will require grit. Soft noodles or melon in small amounts could be given before they build up a lot of grit in their crop I suppose.

My chicks act pretty scared as well. They really freak out around my daughter b/c she's always chasing them. I would probably have the same reaction if a giant 4-year old were chasing me too!
tongue.png
I've noticed that when DH and I go in there and just squat down and talk quietly to them, they settle down easily. DH is actually the "bird whisperer". He can easily just pick one up, calm it down, and set it on his lap, arm, etc.

They are also alot calmer in the evenings, so maybe try some quiet time with them then?

Back
Top Bottom