Scared chicky :(

Chickmgnet

Chirping
Dec 19, 2020
Phoenix, Az
I try to hold my babies in order to get familiar with eachother. However, there is 1 out of 4 that does not like to be touched whatsoever. When I do pick her up I put her in my beanie and she curls up and falls asleep. She will not move. She gets mad if touched. And seems a little too comfy and spoiled haha but I'm just wondering if this is normal behavior?

P.s.: this is my first time raising egg laying hens. So, I'll be coming here a lot more.

How old is she and how long have you had her? I know with my chicks they don’t let me touch them right away. I have to sit with them and ignore them for days until they decide to come to me. Then when it’s their choice they let me touch them.
Also if you’re trying to touch her back that will always scare her. That’s how hawks attack and any shadow above them scares them. I found that if you pet them where they can see your hand coming they don’t mind so much.

In my experience, some chickens and some breeds are just more "people friendly" when it comes to being held. I brood my chicks in the house, and even with face-to-face contact every day, some of my girls never like to be held or touched. But, they all love me when it's feeding time. I have to be careful not to step on them as they crowd onto my feet and guard my face as they flap their way onto the garbage can feed container.

Welcome to the wonderful world of chick-raising and to BYC, where lots of friendly folks will be happy to share what they know!

I try to hold my babies in order to get familiar with eachother. However, there is 1 out of 4 that does not like to be touched whatsoever. When I do pick her up I put her in my beanie and she curls up and falls asleep. She will not move. She gets mad if touched. And seems a little too comfy and spoiled haha but I'm just wondering if this is normal behavior?

P.s.: this is my first time raising egg laying hens. So, I'll be coming here a lot more.
members.jpg

How old is she and how long have you had her? I know with my chicks they don’t let me touch them right away. I have to sit with them and ignore them for days until they decide to come to me. Then when it’s their choice they let me touch them.
Also if you’re trying to touch her back that will always scare her. That’s how hawks attack and any shadow above them scares them. I found that if you pet them where they can see your hand coming they don’t mind so much.
She isnt but a few weeks old along with the others. There are 2(RIR) and 2(black sexlinks). She is one of the latter.

In my experience, some chickens and some breeds are just more "people friendly" when it comes to being held. I brood my chicks in the house, and even with face-to-face contact every day, some of my girls never like to be held or touched. But, they all love me when it's feeding time. I have to be careful not to step on them as they crowd onto my feet and guard my face as they flap their way onto the garbage can feed container.

Welcome to the wonderful world of chick-raising and to BYC, where lots of friendly folks will be happy to share what they know!
I made their brooder with a door so they can exit/enter thru side instead of lurking from above. I try to give them corn as a treat to get them a little more excited yanno

I was able to swaddle her and keep her calm by repetitive petting. She loves under the wing scratches apparently haha but thx everyone

Some Littles are just like that. My SL Wyandottes hated being picked - and still do! But I have some who still want to cuddle with Mama Chicken at one and a half years old (or in my old Barred Rock, Alice’s case, seven years old).

Meal worms are the secret ingredient to being adored 😉 mine come running when they hear my voice and jump onto my lap (or shoulder)for extra attention 😅

Attachments

• 20210102_101614.jpg
    20210102_101614.jpg
    466.9 KB · Views: 1

Back
Top Bottom