Scared coturnix quail hen

HATCHERMAN11

Chirping
May 30, 2019
Hello. I have 4 coturnix quails, one male and 3 females. When my male is trying to breed with one of my females the female is just trying to run away from him and she looks scared. However, my other 2 hens just lay down when they’re getting bred and they don’t run around and panic. What should i do about this to get the one hen to calm down?

Edit: I’ve tried introducing another roo and she’s still freaking out when he tries to mate with her, however the other 2 are calm with it.

Last edited:
Do they have anywhere to hide/ get out of the male's line of sight? Branches, hidey house etc.? If she feels more comfortable and has somewhere to get away, she might warm up to him with time.
Yes, i do have a cork tunnel and a cut out bucket. Do you think adding some branches will help her hide from the male?

Yes, i do have a cork tunnel and a cut out bucket. Do you think adding some branches will help her hide from the male?
Its worth a shot.
Shes probably a little traumatized. I had an issue where my females didn't like one of the males, so he slept on top of their nest box for weeks :confused:
Now they are totally fine with each other after I separated the male for a while. He was put in a separate cage where he could still see the others. You could try that if she just doesn't calm down.

Its worth a shot.
Shes probably a little traumatized. I had an issue where my females didn't like one of the males, so he slept on top of their nest box for weeks :confused:
Now they are totally fine with each other after I separated the male for a while. He was put in a separate cage where he could still see the others. You could try that if she just doesn't calm down.
I think she might be traumatized for a past experience. I hatched out 4 quails and (of course) got 3 males and one female (this hen) they grew up fine but when the roos hit sexual maturity they started to peck on her and one day i came in to find a big wound on her head, the males had picked up her head, i seperated her and luckily she revived and when she was fully healed i introduced her to the nicest roo along with 2 other hens. Could that be the reason why she’s so freaked out and is there anything i can do about it?

I think she might be traumatized for a past experience. I hatched out 4 quails and (of course) got 3 males and one female (this hen) they grew up fine but when the roos hit sexual maturity they started to peck on her and one day i came in to find a big wound on her head, the males had picked up her head, i seperated her and luckily she revived and when she was fully healed i introduced her to the nicest roo along with 2 other hens. Could that be the reason why she’s so freaked out and is there anything i can do about it?
That's probably why she's so scared, I don't think there is much else to do. Hopefully, she realizes not all roos are so mean.

I recommend giving her some space. I have had two hens so far that were terrified of roosters. Separating her from the rooster for a while where she won't have to see him for a couple of weeks can help lots.

I've noticed that my snowy hens, the ones that are white with a lot of tiny black spots, are attractive to the point that they get harassed constantly while the other hens go ignored. Those two hens of mine are -always- bald, despite the rooster having 9 to choose from. If she's lighter colored it's probably not helping her. I've resorted to dying the hens pink before.

Back
Top Bottom