Scared Duck

Gone

Chirping
Jul 23, 2021
I bought 5 chickens and a duck a little over a year ago. I raised them up fine and they are very tame and lovable. I was told that the duck was a female when I bought it, thinking there wouldn't be a problem later on that way. Then, when the duck got older, it started humping the chickens. It wouldn't stop, so as hard as it was, since I was so attached to it, I found it a new home. I have raised up another duck that was sent to me by a farm that sexes ducks. She is very docile and will be two months old at the end of July. I slowly put her in a pen beside the chicken coop and pen to get everyone used to each other. Then I put her in with the chickens. They seemed to resent her, one in particular. One chicken races toward her and tries to peck her face. The duck got a scratch under her eye. She's ok and I put the mean chicken in the area for the duck and put the duck in with the other chickens. She loves to be with them because they treat her fine, even in the coop. When I put the mean chicken back in with everyone, they all start attacking the duck. The duck pen has no cover at night and I will eventually have to put the duck in the protected coop at night. What should I do? Is there a way to change this pecking order so this mean chicken stops attacking?

I bought 5 chickens and a duck a little over a year ago. I raised them up fine and they are very tame and lovable. I was told that the duck was a female when I bought it, thinking there wouldn't be a problem later on that way. Then, when the duck got older, it started humping the chickens. It wouldn't stop, so as hard as it was, since I was so attached to it, I found it a new home. I have raised up another duck that was sent to me by a farm that sexes ducks. She is very docile and will be two months old at the end of July. I slowly put her in a pen beside the chicken coop and pen to get everyone used to each other. Then I put her in with the chickens. They seemed to resent her, one in particular. One chicken races toward her and tries to peck her face. The duck got a scratch under her eye. She's ok and I put the mean chicken in the area for the duck and put the duck in with the other chickens. She loves to be with them because they treat her fine, even in the coop. When I put the mean chicken back in with everyone, they all start attacking the duck. The duck pen has no cover at night and I will eventually have to put the duck in the protected coop at night. What should I do? Is there a way to change this pecking order so this mean chicken stops attacking?
It sounds like that chicken is at the top of the pecking order and she doesn't like the duck around. the others don't mind the duck, but because she doesn't like it, they are bullying her. If you wanted, you could make some places for the duck to get away, like a pond or a big bucket of water for it to swim in, then the chickens might stay away while she swims. Either that or getting rid of the mean chicken.

What breed and gender is the chicken? Is it the boss chicken? if it's not an agressive breed or position ( boss chickens are agressive), try putting them in pens next together for awhile, this might work.

What breed and gender is the chicken? Is it the boss chicken? if it's not an agressive breed or position ( boss chickens are agressive), try putting them in pens next together for awhile, this might work.
I have been doing that. The chicken is a golden comet and very tame. She is getting a little better, only chasing the duck a little and the others aren't following her. If I can get her to accept the duck in the coop at night, everything will be ok. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom