Scared Hens

Allegra17

Chirping
Mar 18, 2022
Some backstory: I got 3 chicks as day old babies a couple years ago. One passed away last year and another passed 2 days ago. Since I had one sole chicken left, I decided to get 2 new 4 month old hens to keep her company. The new hens had a rough start here… we definitely made some mistakes in the introductions. Our dog chased one of them around our yard trying to sniff her and we chased the other one around the yard trying to get her in the coop for the night 🤦🏻‍♀️ Many regrets there but what’s done is done.

Anyways, now our two hens are just scared in the coop. They haven’t come out of the little sleeping area at all and are just cuddled together in a corner. Their food and water is in there and I have seen them both drink water but other than that, they are just hidden in the corner. They are especially scared of people and won’t take any treats from me, even if I just leave it in there for them. They have seen my original hen eat blueberries from my hand but they seem totally uninterested. I’m not even sure how to know they are eating yet. Maybe I scarred them for a while accidentally. I feel horrible and I’m not sure how to repair from here. Please any suggestions on how to get them to warm up to me??

Consider your first job, or a new school. How lost you felt.
Now......
Your new hens, from their perspective:
New house
New neighbors ( no friends)
New humans
New sights
New sounds
Nothing familiar or comforting.

They are the New Kids on the block,it will take time for them too get comfortable and feel safe and secure. Just like you settled into your new job/school your hens will also. How long will it take? Each bird is different (just like people), some are reserved and shy, some friendly, outgoing or aggressive. Just give them time, help them adjust, and make them feel welcome, safe and secure.

Consider your first job, or a new school. How lost you felt.
Now......
Your new hens, from their perspective:
New house
New neighbors ( no friends)
New humans
New sights
New sounds
Nothing familiar or comforting.

They are the New Kids on the block,it will take time for them too get comfortable and feel safe and secure. Just like you settled into your new job/school your hens will also. How long will it take? Each bird is different (just like people), some are reserved and shy, some friendly, outgoing or aggressive. Just give them time, help them adjust, and make them feel welcome, safe and secure.
I’m glad this is normal but I wish there was something I could do to help them feel more comfortable. I usually let my hens free range in the backyard and then they go into their coop on their own at night and I lock it up before bed. With the new ones, I was thinking about keeping them in their coop for a little while to teach them that is their safe space. Does that sound like a good idea? If yes, how long before I should open up the coop and let them explore the backyard?

How long have you had them? Chickens hate change - to that add being chased by you and your dog - it's going to take time. Your original hen will serve as their guide and be an ice breaker. 2 weeks may be a very conservative estimate.

How long have you had them? Chickens hate change - to that add being chased by you and your dog - it's going to take time. Your original hen will serve as their guide and be an ice breaker. 2 weeks may be a very conservative estimate.
I’ve only had them 2 days. By conservative estimate, you mean you think it will probably take longer or shorter than 2 weeks?

Longer as it can take non traumatized birds 2 weeks or more to adjust to a new home.
got it. Do you think I should keep them in the coop for a while or should I let them explore the backyard? I usually would let my hens roam the yard during the day and they would find their way back to the coop at night, where I would lock it up for the night. Not sure how long to leave my new hens in the coop to get accustomed. I don’t want too much change at once but not sure what to do to make them comfortable.

Back
Top Bottom