Scared of my chickens

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by cgtreasures, Dec 2, 2012.

1. cgtreasures

cgtreasures New Egg

Nov 22, 2012
    We have 3 buff orpingtons and they are getting mean. When I let them out of their pen, one hen either runs up and pecks me or chases me as I walk out of the pen and pecks me on the back of the leg. Another one raises her wings and runs at me like she is going to flog me. I can't trust them and not comfortable with the kids doing chores or gathering eggs. What should I do?

2. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    If it were me, I think that I would turn around and walk swiftly toward them with my arms out... not to scare them, but to be the bigger chicken. However, I must say that it has not happened to me...
    Or pick the biggest bully up and carry her around under your arm for awhile.
    Good luck.

3. maidenwolfx80

maidenwolfx80 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2012
    missouri
    x2
    I had to put one of my roos in place this summer. He is my favorite but hormones got the better of him so I chose to keep him. Whe he would run at my and raise his hackles I would charge back just as hard and continue towards him until he backed off and then stalk him around for awhile until he went away. Then I added picking him up and tucking him under my arm (he is a bantam) and walking around with him or sitting down and not letting him go till he settled down. I also brought out special treats and fed him small pieces to makes it last longer and talk softly and calm to him so he could see I bring yummy things and am a calm person.

4. I think I know what's going on here, the chickens think THEY are in charge when really you should be. Let them know who's boss! Charge back at them, grab the most dominant one and let him/her know that YOU are dominant. Good luck! [​IMG]

5. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    Your hens are trying to put you at the bottom of the pecking order. Don't let them, or they'll only get worse.

As mentioned above, make yourself big by holding your arms out and flapping them. Holler at them, and walk towards them flapping and force them to run away. Grab them and hold them quite a bit, and hold them still until they stop struggling and fussing. Be The Rooster!

6. Smoochie

Smoochie Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2012
    CANADA
    I would try a super soaker first. Kicking could injure them. My chickens are scared if I wear a big hat as I am a "stranger" ...

7. Smoochie

Smoochie Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2012
    CANADA
    I also agree with the picking up and carrying them around for a bit.

8. daoustaj

daoustaj Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2012
    They seem to get crabby if they break from laying. I had a buff orp get nasty and pecked the crap out of my hand, it was all red. Picked her up and carried her around(watch your face) and shes fine now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by