scared of my roo. (pic), few questions...... please help!!!

I am learning alot about AGF chickens "in the hood" where I live and they are not bred for personality---just to be agressive and fight. If you do not want babies split up the hens and the roos and they will be just fine. The roo in the picture is a VERY typy AGF and yes he is a mean looking bugger. The one poster was right on with handling that mean roo. Put on long sleeves, pants and leather gloves and grab him by the neck, push his head to the ground, then grab the wings& body and get him under your arm, grab those legs now, all while holding the neck by the base of the head. And hang on to him for dear life till he calms down. If he relaxes you relax, if he fights, you hang on to him harder....Then repeat this process EVERYDAY till he learns not to fight with you. It is a pain in the butt, but this is what you gotta do. When he is walking around and he charges you, YOU bend down, tell him come on mate, come and get me, and when he rushes you, shove that broom or plastic rake in front of him [just like you were fighting him] let him attack that broom/rake and let the broom fight back. DO not back down, He has to learn you are the boss, and YOU have to "think like a chicken" to do it. If this does not work, then it is time to rehome or freezer camp.

ALWAYS wear long sleeves, pants,gloves and carry a broom/rake around him till he learns YOU are the top dog.

I had to transfer 2 AGF roos today [not mine] to new living quarters and man alive they were mean, nasty biteing, kicking, flogging me but I hung onto them, and kept at it till they stopped moving. Remember, you outweigh this guy by 160 some odd pounds! The BIG cheese roo is free ranging where I keep my horse and he has tried to come after me, but I stood my ground did just what I wrote you to do, and he has never given me any more trouble since, but the people that do not "fight back" when he gets agressive have problems with him.
Good luck......

Last edited:
Quote:
Thanks froggie, so I finally let him out and first thing he did was go after the ladies (expected). He didn't have the same aggression towards me that he had when he was in a smaller cage alone. He did try and size me up for a good minute to which we had a staring contest. I evened the score 1-1 when he looked away. I then took the lead (2-1) when I started following him around (I think being slightly intoxicated made it easier
big_smile.png
) and he kept running for the hills. Finally I was able to get down to his level about 3 feet between us and he just walked around me (perhaps he was more interested in the ladies). So as of now he is free and enjoying life. I will definitely keep my guard up with him. This is his last straw and he controls his destiny. Thanks to all who replied in the thread! I learned a good deal!

Quote:
Thanks froggie, so I finally let him out and first thing he did was go after the ladies (expected). He didn't have the same aggression towards me that he had when he was in a smaller cage alone. He did try and size me up for a good minute to which we had a staring contest. I evened the score 1-1 when he looked away. I then took the lead (2-1) when I started following him around (I think being slightly intoxicated made it easier
big_smile.png
) and he kept running for the hills. Finally I was able to get down to his level about 3 feet between us and he just walked around me (perhaps he was more interested in the ladies). So as of now he is free and enjoying life. I will definitely keep my guard up with him. This is his last straw and he controls his destiny. Thanks to all who replied in the thread! I learned a good deal!

YAH!! I hope that stops his agression to you and your family! BUT as a final note, do watch him for awhile and if he tries to be aggressive to you [cuz now he has his girls to protect] get the broom/rake and duke it out with him till HE stops.

I hope that problem will be solved--good luck.

Never keep manfighters.

That is DH's rule no matter the breed of bird.

Even if you put him with the "ladies" he will still retain his aggressiveness, because then he will see you as a threat to the hens.

Any rooster of any breed can be aggressive.

We have one rooster that has always been aggressive (OEG) and after I nailed him with a 2x3 board, he avoided me for a long time. However, if I or anyone else, walks too close to wherever he is standing, hen present or not, he will flog again, and has several times. If a hen is present, he will chase the "trespasser" and continue to flog. (He & his hens free range)

BTW: No amount of "taming" has helped with him. He even rode home on my DD's shoulder when we got him & the hens...he was a good little fella for a few days..yet he has been known to go after DD also.

ETA: Yes in spite of DH's rule, the lil roo still hasn't been sent to camp. Only because it is DD's and she will decide when to do it. If not soon, the roo may just have an accident...

He is a good roo with the ladies, though.

Last edited:
The one aggressive roo I had to deal, with I never backed down. In fact when he first started flogging me I would chase him, never could catch him though, and he seemed to think that was pretty fun. So I changed my tactics; I'd keep an eye on him and even encourage him to flog me, when he jumped at me it was like catching a football. I'd snatch that mean ol' bird up mid-flight. Then he was tortured; I'd carry him around every where with me for some 20+ minutes. Carry him by his legs, upside-down, pet him, wash his feet and comb.... just make it miserable for him. Pretty soon I couldn't do anything to get him to flog me! He would flog others though unless I got them to do what I had done.
I think you could maybe catch that mean ol'bird, tie his legs together and let your daughter play dress up with him for a little while... he might just change his mind about bothering with you guys. Also consider trimming his spurs. Maybe if you can keep them blunt he wouldn't frighten you quite as badly and you holding him to trim should also make him more weary of you.

I agree with Chickychicky's points.

I have a roo in with ladies and he's STILL aggressive with me and anyone else who goes near him or his ladies. He's still young, so no spurs yet.

If he continues or gets worse - I have NO PROBLEM with eating him. My family is sad about it - they suggest "rehoming" but he's just going to be someone else's problem.

I am not afraid of him. I stand up to him. I've tried the other tactic of befriending him. I used to come every time with treats or snacks. He'll eat them, but he's still nasty. I've also tried scaring him - standing up to him - holding him down on the ground - picking him up and carrying him around with me.

He's still a jerk.

If I had a 4 year old running around, he would have been cooked already. I can't imagine a little kid going near him. I'm all for trying to change the behavior of a fresh roo unless there's a chance of him hurting a child or someone who couldn't get away fast enough.

It just takes one time for your little girl to be terribly injured.

My vote: Cook him. He's not worth the risk.

Quote:
Yes, sometimes the roo is of that mindset where he just can't be rehabilitated. I can totally understand your point about small children and nasty roos. You tried to "tame the beast" and all tactics failed....so..freezer camp or hit the road jack are the right choices in that matter.
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom