Scared rooster

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by twarncke, Aug 22, 2016.

1. twarncke

twarncke Just Hatched

Aug 22, 2016
    How many hens can a rooster handle on his own ? We have 25 hens and just introduced a rooster but the hens seem to always chase him off wondering if we should get another rooster hens are 16 weeks and new rooster is 20 weeks same breed both brown leg brown

2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

What do you mean by "handle"?

If you mean mate and keep fertile, he'll probably do just fine. I've had young cocks cover 2 dozen hens and easily keep everyone fertile.

If you mean be the flock leader, he can keep tabs on that many ladies. I'm thinking it's just cause he's new, and the pullets are young.

How long have you had him? If it's been less than 2-3 weeks, I'd just leave things be and let them get to know each other.

Your pullets are so young, they're probably not sexually mature yet so not interested in mating. They probably don't see the point of this stranger. He probably doesn't see the point of them yet, either [​IMG]. Just give it time.

3. twarncke

twarncke Just Hatched

Aug 22, 2016
    Thanks [​IMG]
    we have only had him a few days just feeling bad for the guy some of the hens run him off when ever he comes close for food he has been able to control a few, we only have them for eggs so we will watch and see how it goes[​IMG]

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    What you have is an integration issue....
    ....the existing pullets are defending their territory and protecting their resources(space/feed/water) from a 'stranger'.
    Multiple feed/water stations can help...make sure he gets to eat/drink.

Not unusual. If the male was mature it would be a different story.

All your birds are young, pullets and cockerel, not hens and cock(rooster) until a year old.
    Your pullets are not sexually mature yet, but your cockerel probably is.
    When he gets a bit more comfortable, he may start trying to mate females that are not ready and that could be unpleasant for all.

I'm curious, if you only want eggs, why did you get a male?
    No need for a male unless you want fertile eggs to hatch.
    Males make for complications, especially for new chicken keepers.

Read up on integration..... BYC advanced search>titles only>integration
    This is good place to start reading:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/adding-to-your-flock

5. twarncke

twarncke Just Hatched

Aug 22, 2016
    We are eventually wanting the chickens to hatch some themselves but mostly for eggs, I'm new to this but read some that the rooster is good for the flock ? He has mated with a couple there are still a group that chase him off when he gets to close to the group

Last edited: Aug 23, 2016
  6. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Are brown leghorns renown for being broody? Just done a search which may help in that respect - https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/438046/are-brown-leghorns-known-to-be-good-broody-mothers

Seems it may be a hit and miss affair. Nothing that an incubator won't cure [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by