Scared to DEATH!!

Their Other Mother

Songster
11 Years
May 1, 2008
Arizona
Even though the cicken tractor was secure, good wire all around and on top, then placed inside a stall in our barn with wire all around, a Red Tailed Hawk managed to get in the barn, land on top of the chicken cage and scared our dear little goosie to death! My 11 year old son saw the hawk go into the barn and ran to scare it away. The hawk did not get into the cage but our goose just fell over dead. We are still broken hearted. Many of you coached us through our first goose experience. We bought 4 African Geese eggs and only one hatched on Mothers Day. He was so spoiled and what a fun little pet.

My neighbor told me years ago that he had raised Turkeys in Montana and there was an earthquake that really shook the ground for a few seconds and over 100 Turkeys dropped dead from fear!

I don't know what else to do to protect my hens. The hawks now know where I hide my hens and I'm worried he will be back with friends.
Has anyone else had an experience like this?

awwwwww, so sorry, I love geese...bless it's little heart..
hugs.gif
hugs.gif

Their Other Mother,

I have certainly never experienced that type of situation, sorry for your loss. I will tell you about mine, though. My run was covered maybe 80/90 %. My chicks hatched out, and within a couple weeks, a red tailed hawk already took off with a couple.

Once I figured out what the deal was, I immediately set out to complete the run cover.

Even as I was installing the mesh, I saw this hawk, in my neighbor's yard, perched on their trampoline, within twenty yards of me, watching my every move.

Apparently, once they learn where a kill can be made, they will register that information...until.

My mesh worked, no more victims. A couple of years later now, and I am free ranging my birds with no problems, knock on wood!

-Spence

i'm so sorry for your loss. that's terrible.
hugs.gif

i wish i had an answer for you. hawks are smart - it's hard to trick them or throw them off once they figure something out.
sounds like spencer has a decent solution.

good luck and i hope your birds stay safe and sound.

Here's the deal. The Hawk didn't even touch my goose! all he did was land on top of the cage - he couldn't get through the wire. The goose died of fright not from an attack! There wasn't a scratch on him.

Did you guys actually see the goose die?

I'm having trouble picturing a hawk landing on top of the cage and then a goose is dead within seconds. I have seen our backyard hawk divebomb the Canada geese on the pond, the geese honked and moved but none of them keeled over dead.

Not saying it couldn't happen, I'm just having trouble picturing it.

I'm sorry your goose is dead.

-Kim

Wow that is so sad. I have 3 Embden goslings and today they were standing right by the truck when the alarm was accidently set off. The ran off like crazy but thankfully non dropped dead of the fright.

Back
Top Bottom