Scared to Free Range

Lisa-Lu

Songster
Feb 14, 2019
Southwest Virginia
We've only had our chickens 5 days, but are planning to let them free range at some point, not for at least 2 weeks though. They already love their coop and turn in early every evening about 6:00 or so. The thought of letting them free range terrifies me, what if they wander off? what if they dont come back? Is there things I should be looking for to know when they are ready to free range, and feel at home?

We've only had our chickens 5 days, but are planning to let them free range at some point, not for at least 2 weeks though. They already love their coop and turn in early every evening about 6:00 or so. The thought of letting them free range terrifies me, what if they wander off? what if they dont come back? Is there things I should be looking for to know when they are ready to free range, and feel at home?
Hi!
Ours started free ranging at about two months old. We started them out only free ranging when we were outside and I’d say by the time they were 3 months we let them completely stay out as long as they wanted. We have 40 acres and they’ve never wondered off. They stay right around our house and barns. Mine come when called because they’ve learned when I call them I have a snack.
In my experience they’ve never ventured too far from their coop and they go in their coop every night on there own when the sun is starting to go down.
How old are they? Do you have a rooster?

Two weeks to a month should be fine they will go back in to sleep on there roost at night. You might want to get them hooked on treats like meal worms, keep them in a can or something that makes noise when you shack it. They will come running to you in case you want to put them in the coop/run early on a given day. Might want to put a little scratch in the can as well to make more noise.

They won't wander off... yet.
They will come back no matter how far they eventually wander as long as that is where they can always find food and shelter.
They don't venture too far from their home when they first come out. After they've been out a while they will get bolder and go further.
You can start letting them out at about 5:00. That way they have an hour to wander around. Stay out with them and watch them.
You obviously run a higher risk of predation when they range. It's a balance between quality of life and longevity. You will find a full spectrum of philosophies on free ranging here!
I'd rather live a short happy life than a long unhappy one.
Good luck to you and your flock on your free ranging adventures!

They are 5 months old, we do not have a rooster. We also have 60 acres that is mostly heavily wooded. Right now they are still timid. A couple of them are starting to eat out of our hand, but dont like being petted and run when we try to pick them up.

You might want to get them hooked on treats like meal worms, keep them in a can or something that makes noise when you shack it. They will come running to you in case you want to put them in the coop/run early on a given day. Might want to put a little scratch in the can as well to make more noise.

that is a great tip!! Thank you!

My chickens, ducks and guineas are 100% free range, they roam around the feild all day long and return to the coop at night.
Never have had any wonder off.
My chickens don’t seem to go too far from their coop.
AC4602B7-8E99-45B6-BFE8-F7FCF5A18FA6.jpeg

Chickens wandering off and not coming home is pretty rare. You're more likely to run into problems with your local predators than with them just not bothering to come back... Unless one decides to go broody somewhere random, in which case they'd come back after a month or two. Just ease them into it. They're surprisingly good at finding their own way.

Back
Top Bottom