Scared Why!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mgw, Jul 3, 2010.

1. mgw

mgw Songster

May 29, 2010
    Eastern Wa.
    A month ago we had to put shavings down in the run to get the girls up out of the mud. Today we raked out all of the shavings & put sand down in the run.Now only 2 of the 5 will come out of the coop the others will walk part way down the ramp look around A little then run back into the coop it has been 3 hrs. what if anything should we do ???

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Something new. A couple weeks ago I put some sand in the coop. Took them about 4 days before they would walk on it.

Imp- guess I shouldn't have used that bag labeled "Evil Sand"

3. Charles07

Charles07 Songster

Apr 10, 2010
    Sheridan, Indiana
    Quote:[​IMG]

4. Annabella

Annabella Songster

Apr 17, 2010
    Chooks are all so different. My girls come and supervise anything I do in their area.
    Seem as though they check every section I do, and I figure it meets their approval as they then just move on.
    Funny girls [​IMG]

5. mgw

mgw Songster

May 29, 2010
    Eastern Wa.
    Quote:LOL that is funny I guess well just wait them out. They are bound to get hungry.

6. mgw

mgw Songster

May 29, 2010
    Eastern Wa.
    Quote:Ours usually arnt afraid of anything new or noises but this sand deal has them fooled I guess they are just chicken.

7. noodleroo

noodleroo Snuggles with Chickens

Apr 29, 2010
    Rockport, Tx
    'Something new' reminds me of when I had baby guineas. I'd gotten them in June so they always saw me in shorts. The first time they saw me in jeans (in the back yard) they acted like they didn't know me. They were terrified! They may not be the smartest birds, but I must admit they do pay attention....

8. Annabella

Annabella Songster

Apr 17, 2010
    Quote:I always wear my pink outdoor shoes when I go out to the henhouse. At least one inevitably pecks at them. I wonder what they might do if I wore different shoes?

I was building (putting together) a coop I bought off ebay and as soon as I had 3 walls up of their new little run, they were all in there checking out the corners and a couple flew up onto its edge and checked it out from there. It was quite hysterical having them supervise its 'building'..

9. dawg53

dawg53 Humble Premium Member

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    You're right Annabella! My chickens would make great housing inspectors lolol!

10. magic maker

magic maker In the Brooder

May 5, 2010
    I put down DE over the holiday and my 5 girls acted like the run was going to eat them! Eventually they went in after a few hours. Ok, and an entire box of raisins. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by