Scared!

RetroCoop

In the Brooder
6 Years
Aug 25, 2013
Virginia
Yes, I am crazy, but I am afraid to let my hens out of there fenced in yard. We have had them three days and I think it is time to start letting them out. Please give me any tips and advice to make this easier for me and them:idunno

Pff, mine are going on 8 months old and have been out of their chicken run a whopping FOUR times. They are happy even if they don't free range. They get treats, grass cuttings, straw to play in, my brother built them a little ladder that stays in the run, and they dig and have fun.

Last edited:
you said you only had them three days? doesnt matter how old they are. they need to learn where home is before wandering around. i have bantam that doesnt free range but i do the same as you with the grass and such. as long as they have enough room

Yes, I am crazy, but I am afraid to let my hens out of there fenced in yard. We have had them three days and I think it is time to start letting them out. Please give me any tips and advice to make this easier for me and them:idunno
keep then in for 8 days on the 9th day let them out and hour before dusk and toss some worms in the coop and they will go in. do this about 3 days. ps only give them worms to get them in the coop at first.

th.gif
someone agrees with me !
love.gif

My 4 hens get loud & obnoxious if I let them out several days running & then don't. They come to expect to be let out of the run at a certain time & they start dancing at the gate squawking, it got to the point where we quit letting them out & just gave them snacks so they'd quit expecting to be let out every evening. Ninja chickens aren't supposed to be seen or heard by the neighbors.

Thanks for the advice. They where hatched last spring. My girls seemed to be really smart. What kinda worms do you buy to throw in?

Back
Top Bottom