Scaredy cockerel

Studio2770

Songster
9 Years
Apr 29, 2013
One of our 12 week old cochins is a cockerel, Oliver. He was really sweet but he has been running away and doing anything he can to avoid being caught. He doesn't fight or anything, just a pain to catch. I don't think it's that we haven't been letting them snuggle on us for a while, they've gotten too big to fit on one person(we also have an 11 wk old EE). They've been in the coop with the older pullets for at least a week. Maybe the stress of getting picked on and pecking order arrangement has him on edge?

I have two roosters, my second in command is a big scaredy chicken when it comes to me. If I have to grab him, he yells like I'm skinning him alive. He's always keeps a wide space between us, I joke that he is Zorro, the fat and meek lol. He's been like that since a chick, just who he is and incredibly hard to catch as a result.

Haha how funny! Oliver is so sweet when you get your hands on him. I set him in my lap and he quickly sits down to be petted. He was a bit of a challenge to catch when he was little but he would run to you if you patted the ground. How often would you say your second roo in command crows? I think Oliver will put off crowing since he gets picked on.

I'd rather my rooster be scared of me then attack me! (Those are my two options with my rooster, Mr. Darcy.) He IS a pain to catch, but with the help of my brother we can do it.

I'd rather my rooster be scared of me then attack me! (Those are my two options with my rooster, Mr. Darcy.) He IS a pain to catch, but with the help of my brother we can do it.

Same here. Oliver's got some moves but he has never laid a beak on me.

Nearly constantly, lol, he drives me bananas some days. He's definitely got a bigger mouth than our alpha roo.

Haha wow. I have no idea how Oliver will be. He's really quiet, maybe he'll be a soft spoken cochin roo. I'm fine with crowing but not every 10 minutes. What breed is yours?

He's a black australorp, they both are and very different in their personalities. Zorro crowed a lot later than our alpha and was the quiet one at first. I believe with him most of his crowing is territorial, when it's quiet around here so is he.

Back
Top Bottom