Scarlet coturnix?

These 2 had no stripes at hatch so I was surprised when the baring started. What do you use as bedding by the way? I keep thinking I hate the big aspen wood flakes and that the chicks would do better on something like tiny wood chunks or coconut fiber or something. That bedding looks like it’s right up that alley.
That bedding is hemp, I used it for our hamsters before we got quail. I can’t say enough good things about it, except if I buy a big square bag of fine pine chips at TSC it’s like $6, but the hemp is $55 for the same size, and I have to order it online. With hamsters I mixed it with paper bedding, and because they had huge cages I only changed it out totally once every 6 months. It goes much quicker with quail and now that it’s cold I covered their pen floor with chips outside and the leftover hemp is used up. I just bought the fine pine chips at TSC for them. These will be the last babies on hemp for me. The fine pine chips are bigger, I believe you can find pretty finely shredded aspen, which I might look for if the pine doesn’t work out. TSC has 2 kinds, flake and fine, I think the flake is in the clear or white package and the fine is in the yellow one.

Darn it! If only I was rich... who am I kidding, I’d have 80000 quail and no money, lol. Lucky me, I’m allergic to pine so I get aspen or cedar and cedar only works outside on limited basis. I can’t say what it is I don’t like about wood chips, maybe how the quail poop tends to coat it? How the quail chicks don’t seem to like it? How big of a mess it makes? If it wasn’t for the dust making a mess and being a danger to the birds I think saw dust would be ideal. Some of the litter people keep reptiles on has peaked my interest. I’ll need to research this a bit more. But yeah that hemp looks amazing, the price... not so much, lol.

Darn it! If only I was rich... who am I kidding, I’d have 80000 quail and no money, lol. Lucky me, I’m allergic to pine so I get aspen or cedar and cedar only works outside on limited basis. I can’t say what it is I don’t like about wood chips, maybe how the quail poop tends to coat it? How the quail chicks don’t seem to like it? How big of a mess it makes? If it wasn’t for the dust making a mess and being a danger to the birds I think saw dust would be ideal. Some of the litter people keep reptiles on has peaked my interest. I’ll need to research this a bit more. But yeah that hemp looks amazing, the price... not so much, lol.
Ive also put the chicks on paper bedding. They actually really like it, but it’s also pretty pricey. Sometimes you can find good deals on amazon for the discontinued colors of carefresh. I currently have some boxo brand left over from the hamsters and it’s ok, but too papery. it has thin flakes that gunk up and flatten fast, other brands are better in general imo. But it was great mixed with hemp for hamsters.

I recently read about toilet paper made from bamboo, and I wonder if there’s a bamboo bedding option out there. I like the idea of not chopping trees.

I will try my best to keep this updated. Here’s some pics with the same lighting to show color difference.
73454216-11E4-4CAD-80D8-0EDA34B6D0E3.jpeg
2799DB91-B206-4922-AE7D-24F3B243FF82.jpeg
8815B7EE-7CD4-4EA4-A1DC-A82DFF6BDAEE.jpeg

I will try my best to keep this updated. Here’s some pics with the same lighting to show color difference. View attachment 2346454View attachment 2346455View attachment 2346456
If I were to give a name to that color/pattern I’d say barred scarlet. As far as I know that happens because the range pattern is incompletely dominant over the wild, and sometimes some of the wild pattern traits come thru.

I have a Rosetta wild pattern roo. And I have a variety of barring and lacing on my range patterns, I can get some pics later or tomorrow, I broke my toe today so I’m not gonna do the deck steps more than I need to today haha.

Interesting, and sorry about your toe! I’d love to see some of your birds but don’t make extra trips!

Interesting, and sorry about your toe! I’d love to see some of your birds but don’t make extra trips!
Here are some of my birds:
Some are the 7.5 week olds, some are the 4.5 week olds.
This first pic, the one in front has a lot of lacing and a vibrant red chest, I suspect it’s a male, I’m hoping he is at least haha.
4C18424D-C3C4-41E0-81FF-675ED3B04D9A.jpeg
55528E88-C44B-41FC-A112-B39C5C63683F.jpeg
CF143F8E-446C-4D3E-A7B1-F4E1BF0B18E6.jpeg
DE8CD55C-C8B3-4AF2-BFC7-7859343F78E6.jpeg

This last one is one of my sex link’s. She has a very even tone, not a ton of barring and lacing.

Here’s my Rosetta roo Aragorn, he also has wild markings:

BA006ADE-2D31-44C5-A356-168FE4A44C97.jpeg
8BA9510C-0D92-474E-BE4E-21DADD07310E.jpeg

Beautiful birds I love that hen 😍 I think some of the patterns are pretty but to me the most striking are always the “solid” colors. It makes me think... this was what it was like with chickens and ducks and basically all livestock. The variations, the colors, trying to get away from “wild” patterns and make something totally “new”

Back
Top Bottom